On the back of my leg, just below the hamstring (where my knee bends forward) i am suffering pain (not the knee, the backside of the leg). is this my hamstring or something else?

it hurts when i walk, take longer than usual strides, or stand too much.

what can i do to rehab?

thanks,
Kel

it could be a hamstring problem. there's lots of information here. be careful not to overstretch that muscle; alot of injury comes from overstretching it before you are warmed up. i have alot of hamstring problems and find that a regular,moderate stretch and strengthen program has been the only thing that helps; it's chronic and i believe due to a really weak, somewhat overtight muscle.

if you're having any pain in your "butt" along with the leg pain it could be the piriformis muscle. it might not hurt to treat that muscle/area as well.

thanks r.r.

it is not in my butt, just right behind the bend (on the backside of my leg). i try not to overstretch, but u maybe i have. il pay more attention in the future.

Kel

hamstring attachment. usually more common with sprinters. long distance runners usually have problems higher with the attachment to the butt. Maybe a massage??? I tore mine a little higher than the knee last fall, I was told immediately that runners don't tear that far down the leg. I proved them wrong :x

You need to start building that muscle and stretch it AFTER a run. It will become chronic without stretching. This spring, I developed piriformis as RR cautioned, it's all related to the same muscle imbalance. Mine is actually too strong and inflexible and of course once the butt pain went away, my stretching habits did too. this week I'm feeling the same pain as you describe, behind the knee. I know from experience now, that runners CAN have hamstring problems that low. I'm going to guess you are a forefoot runner and rarely hit your heels on runs????????

sue, thanks for the input.

with my part-time job, there are times when i run 4-6 miles and during these runs have to sprint on occasion. we also take backpacks and add 35-45 pounds in the sack and walk 15 minute miles (for 3-5 miles) and during these walks (marches really) we have to run or more aptly trot, for 10-20 yards. i think doing this stuff is what gave me the injury.

i have embarked upon squats and straight leg deadlifts to help make my legs/kness/hams stronger ( i should have been doing them along i guess....lol). lazy is as lazy does.

i have been having a hard time deciding whether to heel strike or forefont strike, it seems to i can switch to either without a problem. i just dont know which is best.

thanks, good stuff to think about.
Kel

Forefoot.
I'd take a turnover count on both ways that you strike. The "magical" number is 180. Most heel strikers will be less. Forefoot people will be high. Stride length should change when you pick up speed, not turnover. My turnover increases with speed which is a pretty good indication that my muscles are losing some ability to elongate with age.

i talked to an orthopaedic thurs. he told me it could be a lower hamstring tear and tht the hamstring connect to the front of the knee...i didnt know that! so, im getting an mri done today at 1pm et, i hope it doesnt hurt too much, ive never had one before....
Kel