can a person change her footstrike? i am such a supinator, riding on the outside rims of my shoes. i'm wondering if that couldn't be causing alot of tension in my lateral knee...

they make motion control for pronators; i wear a neutral orthotic for cushioning but when i concentrate,i can really feel my foot rolling outside on every single strike.

i tried to change it today and felt more of a pushoff involving the bigtoe side of my foot..can you work to change your footstrike or is it nature and that's that.

I don't really have a good answer for you RR. but my coach always warned me about trying to change my natural form, he said it could lead to more problems.

Are you currently doing exercises to help strengthen the knee?

i need more problems, like a need a mayonaise sandwich.... :umno:

i'm doing ITB stretching stuff -- wondering if i should be strengthening the quads tho. i do alot of rolling/stretching but leg strenthening is nonexistent.

Wow RR, we got something in common besides old age! I used to supinate badly - wearing the outside of my shoe badly while the inside of the sole would look barely touched. I also felt it in my knees. No guarantee it'll work for you but might be worth a try. I used to be a heel striker - that was the way I was taught to run way back when. Land on heel and roll foot. I've since altered that and become a mid-foot striker. My shoes no longer wear oddly and my knees no longer hurt. It takes some conscious effort to make the change and I did it with no medical advice - it just felt more comfortable. I've been doing it for about two years now and it has become totally natural to me. Just my two cents.

hmmm, maybe some quad work would help out. :shrug:

Something that wouldn't hurt would be some wall squats. Just sit up against the wall with your quads parallel to the floor and hold that position as long as you can, take a break for 30-60 seconds and do it again. It is a killer workout and a true test of mental toughness.

Wall-sits!!! We used to have to do those in PE when someone screwed up. Never fun. We had to hold our arms out in front parallel to the ground as well. Gosh, the memories...

I'm a supinator and forefoot striker....the only wear on my shoes will be on the very outside and the tip of the big toe. The insides will still have nubbies after a few hundred miles. I decided years back that I'm not going to change it, I stopped having knee problems when I started wearing very light shoes.

sue