I was just diagnosed with a hamstring strain from a MRI, I have been dealing with severe pain in my left hip and butt area and down my left leg to my knee. I changed jobs and sit 90% of my 9 hour day. I am not a runner, or do any real exercising.  Can my strain be caused because of my prolonged sitting? 

Yes: Sitting for long periods will really aggravate any hamstring injury.

I speak from experience.

After my own hamstring injury, I couldn't sit up in my office chair without pain.

I finally had to take leave from work the pain was so unbearable.

The hamstring is a tricky muscle, because it's involved in stabilizing your core, and if you don't rest it, it WILL GET WORSE...

And you'll have chronic pain for a while if you don't treat it properly now.

PS - if you're hamstring strain was serious enough to show up on an MRI, you should REALLY be seeing a physiotherapist, or rehab specialist.

From what I understand, a hamstring injury doesn't show on an MRI unless it's a grade 2 or 3, which is complete muscle rupture.

Sorry to hear about your injury and suffer.

Hamstring is a group of three muscles that run along the back of your thigh. They allow you to bend your leg at the knee.

During a hamstring strain, one or more of these muscles gets stretched too far. The muscles might even start to tear. You're likely to get a hamstring strain during exercise  that involves a lot of running and jumping or sudden stopping and starting.

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** web addresses not allowed*** Please read our Terms of Use

During a hamstring strain, one or more of these muscles gets stretched too far. The muscles might even start to tear. You're likely to get a hamstring strain during exercise that involves a lot of running and jumping or sudden stopping and starting.

Dr Purita the head of our orthopedic team can help you to solve your problem.

You can google Dr Purita to find our website and contact us today for a free consult!