i am new to weight training. when i do leg extensions, my right hamstring makes a popping noise when i am lowering my legs. i often feel a pull in this area when i run.

does anyone else have a popping muscle? popping, not pooping--thank you very much.

Does it hurt?

My shoulders pop a lot when I do pushups but it doesn't hurt so I just ignore it?

it hurts just a little, when exerted. i'm wondering if the muscle isn't chronically strained due to lack of stretching. i am easing into a stretching routine now but that hamstring and piriformis are really knotted up.

i wonder if the leg machine will help or hurt the strain??

How repetitions are you doing?

Are using both legs or one at a time?

i am using both legs at once for the leg curls - since i just started i am doing 4 x 12s with only 20 lbs on. i want to strengthen, not bulk up like Mr. America. this is when i hear the "pop"-- when i am lowering the legs to starting position.

then, i do the same reps for extensions.

Hmmmm, and you sure its coming from your muscle not your knee right? Leg machine may help, and the the reps/sets is good. Stretching will probably help. I know its helping me.

A couple of questions.
Are you doing leg extensions or leg curls? (You wrote both)
If leg curls, what position are you in when doing them?
Do you HEAR a popping noise or do you FEEL a popping sensation?
Does it happen when you're lifting or lowering the weight?
How fast are you lifting and lowering the weight?
Are you sure it's in your hamstring and not your knee? (Good question Greg!)
If in your hamstring, is it closer to your knee or closer to you butt?