So folks do you try other styles or forms in your quest to improve?

example 1. running. since my knee injury years ago i always tried to run the same, long leg stride. i learned last year if i took a stride of half that distance i can run again.

example 2. a big part of skating is technique. so the smoother the technique the faster, also there are several different strides to use.

so do you experiment with different forms/styles?

I just run and try not to think about it. Unless I'm very tired I'll have to concentrate on keeping form.

i tried changing my stride once from a short, very heel-first hit, to a longer more open one. it was impossible and i considered my stride like my fingerprint; unique and unchangeable.

however....the stride has changed on it's own, it has lengthened and it is not so heel first anymore. it feels much stronger if that makes sense, and i just think it's just morphed according to my increasing miles and intensity of training. now, i like my stride but i couldn't have force-changed it; it just kinda happened.

ok, that made no sense.

I've morphed from a stiff heel strike stride to a very easy mid-foot landing with a bit quicker turnover. It took some work, I'm happy with the results.

As I sit here with my Excel spreadsheet, I'm thinking "I experiment with forms all the time".

Running form? No. I'm just happy to be upright running. It's hard for me to visualize my form, or when someone describes their form.

OMG, that describes me to a T. 8O Except it actually makes sense to me.

How often I have tried to get discussion on this going on this very subject.
HYPER, I know nothing at all about skating but with running I would say that Form/Style whatever you like to call it is DEVELOPMENTAL and not EXPIREMENTAL.
Possibly the most difficult off all to obtain ( form ) it can take years of constant attention and is an economy of action to suit your own INDIVIDUAL requirements. Matters such as stride length, stride frequency, posture, co-ordination of arm swing, foot olant, breathing and others, all of which go to make up what is generally called 'form' a composite action that is BEST FOR YOU.
Coaching runners, what I try to get across to my athletes is the developement of TIMING, the RHYTHM at which everything comes together. EVERYONE has their own particular and individual rythm for optipum efficiency at any given speed or, if you like, intensity of effort.
The important thing to understand is for every different event, ( 5km. 10 km. half marathon etc.) according to the soeed and effort required each individual must adapt to their own personal rhythm best suited to the event in which he/she competes.
What one must realise is that to a large extent each movement, each action does not opperate in isolation from the rest of your body.
There are differences and similaritaries between all the distances we tackle, wether you run road, XC. or track.
You need to develop and use your facultis and rhythms (I use the plural advisedly) for each and every event if you ant to do well, assess your fitness and control your running accordingly

i would say that developmental is a very good choice of words. In my running i had no choice but experiment with diferent styles because my natural form was detrimental to my knee. In my skating it is a constant development. I came across a "new" stroke totally by accident. but really felt a diference from it, and decided to try to perfect this "new" stroke for me. It is probably a better stroke that the pro's have had and i had not yet progressed to that point where i could do it due to leg strength, balance, or even placement of my boot on the frame.

I did however have to try to "find" this again, so in essence i experimented to find it. It developed but it was an accident for me to later re-create.

There are times when running where it seems I do get the correct rhythmns on everything-feet, arm swing, breathing. I can even tell when I get into this groove. Usually something comes along to disrupt-I run up a hill, or jump off the road because of a car, or something like that.

nope...been running like this for 25 year and couldn't possible change my form now, even if I tried...

When running, I experiment with trying to keep good form.

On my bike, I'm still trying to find which positions I like best during diference circumstances. I'm hoping by the end of the summer I will have them to where they are second nature.

I don't concentrate on form, but when I was training hard in the spring I concentrated on intensity.

Now that the summer heat is here, I just try and concentrate on surviving

never gave much thought. I believe it is more natural so I do not tinker with it.