I was told today by another runner that I run only on the balls of my feet (this I know) and that if I learned to run "correctly" I could probably cut a minute off of my mile time.

I have the tendancy to run "up and down" rather than out - I believe this is where my inefficiency is.

I would love to do this, but I don't know how to begin correcting my bad habits.

Any advice would be appreciated.

- Ben

I would just pay more attention to it while running, or start by walking and speed up...

Do you get injuries from running on the balls of your feet all the time?

Don't listen to it. Basically, runners fall in to one of two generalities. One, being 'heel strikers' and one being 'forefoot strikers', which it sounds like you are. The thing about heel strikers is when your hit heel first, there is an ever so small "braking" effect as your heel being extended out in front of you hits the ground and scuffs along until the rest of your foot rolls out.
The thing about forefoot strikers is you skip that braking effect and in most cases have a more efficent stride. Lots of runners out there try to become forefoot runners for this reason. So if that's the way you naturally run, stick with it. I do 8)

Thanks guys! I don't really get injuries from running on my toes. When I was little, the doctor told my mom that I had short calf muscles. Because of this, I always walked on my toes which eventually led to running on my toes. It feels natural to me (although it looks weird). In general, when I push off, I put more effort into going up as opposed to forward. This probably has a lot to do with getting in the habit of running with people slower than me - and thus having to keep pace with them. (I'm 6'2" which doesn't help when you are running with someone 5'4". No offense to people 5'4"!). All that to say, I think I'm going to stick with running on the forefoot. But I will work (slowly) at decreasing the amount of lift by trying to keep my feet skimming the road rather than pounding it. Thanks again. Ben

Hey Ben,

Did you ever check out POSE running at www.posetech.com? I was a BOF landing runner too, but had niggling knee paid and got rid of it with POSE. Not an easy method of running to learn, but hey if we can run injury free what the heck!

Kadee

I always thought that running on your toes was better for you to run faster. I don't think I do it or realize if I'm doing it or not when I'm running. It just feels like when you run on your toes, your feet have less contact with the ground and you can push off faster.

Trail Running Blog

I run on my toes as well. Lots of injuries.... shin splints, plantar f. and such. Oh, the running pains. But when you love the sport... what can you do?

It's important to transition from your heel to toe in a manner that maximizes efficiency and minimizes effort.

By landing on your toes you put unnecessary stress on your shins and legs, which can lead to a number of running injuries.

Many shoes today will assist you will that transition from heel to toe, ensuring it is efficient and smooth.

Check out our *** no advertising links *** and explore the different possibilities.