I’m desperate. My wife is ill need doctor think that maybe she has very strange disease that called wegener's granulomatosis? Now she needs to do some blood tests and doctor said that he want to do lung biopsy. Is lung biopsy necessary when diagnosing wegener's granulomatosis? Anybody with experience knows that? Thanks!

I think that it is necessary. The only sure way to confirm a diagnosis of Wegener's granulomatosis is to remove a small piece of tissue from an affected organ and examine it under a microscope. That’s called biopsy. Doctor usually removes tissue from nasal passages, airways or lungs. Other areas for biopsy may include skin or kidneys.

If this is helpful to anyone wondering...not only for diagnosis criteria, but since Wegeners is disabling down the road, it is required irrefutable evidence necessary to file for disability benefits.

A lung biopsy is necessary to make sure that an infection does not exist before a more aggressive attempt to suspend the immune system is chosen to treat Wegener's. I experienced a lung biopsy two times about 30 years ago. It gives me something to talk about now in the summer.