I think I have herpes, but how to be sure? I don’t feel comfortable going to the doctor. I have several blisters on my penis, some of them have even started to heal (they appeared a week ago), but it still hurts when I urinate. My groins hurt, too. If it is herpes, tell me how to deal with it, possibly without visiting an urologist?

During an unprotected sexual intercourse you acquired a viral infection caused by one of two types of a virus called herpes simplex virus (HSV). You have to be aware that the virus will stay in your body (in certain nerve cells) for the rest of your life. Perhaps you will experience the symptoms you are experiencing now (primary episode of genital herpes) again, but it is also possible that you will never again develop these symptoms. You must inform your future sexual partners about your condition. As for treating your current condition, you should try to touch your sores and blisters only when you really have to; they will all soon heal and new skin will be formed in those places. Try to keep your personal hygiene at the highest level, always wash your hands after touching the areas with the changes on the skin. You should wait until all symptoms are withdrawn until you have an intercourse again. Genital herpes increases the risk of acquiring HIV, so be sure to use proper protection in future. Should the symptoms reappear you can try to slow down the reproduction of virus by orally taking the medicine called acyclovir. Please be aware that neither acyclovir nor its variants such as valacyclovir or famiciclovir can cure herpes.