My health professional recommended me arthroscopic jaw surgery few days ago. I was thinking it would be the best to get a second opinion before I agree. When other doctor told me the same, I realized my problem is exactly for arthroscopic jaw surgery. Since I started to prepare myself, I need some info about this kind of surgery. That is why I would like if anyone could tell me what I could expect after arthroscopic jaw.

Arthroscopic jaw surgery is performed the way that your surgeon inserts a pencil-thin, lightened tube into your jaw joint. He will do this through a small incision in your skin. Then he can insert surgical instrument and perform surgery on the joint. During this kind of surgery, your doctor may to remove scar tissue and thickened cartilage, and reshape parts of the jawbone. If your problem is with disc, he is able to reposition disc and help you. After arthroscopic jaw surgery, you may start physiotherapy within 48 hours. You can do it in order to maintain movement and prevent scar tissue from forming. You may also use a mechanical device that gently moves your jaw joint. After arthroscopic jaw surgery, you can expect that your jaw movement may be limited for at least a month. Some patients may need to follow a diet of liquid and soft foods.