Hi, I have a jaw bone infection, and I got Amoksicillin for treatment. Is it good medication and how long does it take to have it cured?

Hi, if you have a jaw bone infection there could be some other kind of infection in the mouth too. Mouth infections can easily spread from one structure to another. I believe amoksicillin will help you , but you can apply also some disinfectants to prevent spreading of bacteria. Hydrogen solution or any oral aqueous solution for oral hygiene can be helpful. You can find them as over the counter preparations. If you don’t heal the infection in a few days, look for some other antibiotic, but generally don’t stop taking them as soon as you feel better, but take the whole course.

If you truly have a Jaw bone infection then you will need to tackle the issue aggressively. Jaw bone infections are not easily identified unless you have had a Volumetric CT scan or similar. Otherwise you may be looking at a deep gum infection rather than a Bone infection(per say).

However, if you do have a bone infection then antibiotics alone will not heal this condition. It will or may halt the secondary effects of the infection(pain, rash, tiredness, fever etc). However as soon as you stop the course of your prescription the infection will recur and continue on it's marry way. The reason for this is because when a bone becomes infected, there is no soft tissue for the anti-bodies to work from and thus the source of infection has no wheres to go. So it will end up siting in the bone either contained or allowed to propagate according to the immune system.

The problem with this, is that once an area of bone has been compromised , it becomes necrotic(dead). And thus damage occurs which in turn promotes the spreading of the infection into surrounding areas. The entire process ends up being rather painful and the secondary effects are usually quite prevalent. Though they do vary greatly between people.

The only course of action against such a condition is to identify the affected areas, clean and repair the cavitations with healthy bone followed by a course of very strong antibiotics to avoid a relapse. Because cells(it would seem) are quite good at holding on to damages.

Many people follow up surgery with a course of treatments to increase blood flow in the jaw. This will greatly reduce the chances of a recurring infection throughout the most sensitive post surgery stages( 4 - 6 weeks).

As you can see a Jaw bone infection is not something to take lightly. And so I can only hope you do not have this terrible condition after all. There are many forms of deep gum infections that can resemble jaw bone infections, however, they do not hold the same level of complications and are treatable with conventional antibiotics.

Hope this helps.

did you have a aerobics and anaerobic bacterial test. because if you don't have any result you must not take any antibiotics even amoxicillin. because aerobic and anaerobic test is to know what kind of antibiotics you must drink to perform a good rehabilitation or treatment to your infection...

I am an RN and from my experience -- the only way to know if you have a BONE infection is by a drs diagnosis via CT scan or MRI. It is very serious and amoxacillin will do nothing to cure a BONE infection. You need weeks of IV antibiotics.

I just got out of the hospital where I had a jaw bone infection. I had to have emergency surgery to have drain tubes put in to drain the infection. My right side of my face swelled several times larger than normal. I had 3 CT scan over the course of the 2 weeks I was in the hospital. I also received IV antobotic and a lots of them. I will be on 2 types of oral antobotic's for 28 days. Due to the swelling, I had to have a treacheomoty just before emergency surgery. I can tell you this is serious stuff. Last year my face swelled up and the doctor thought it was a sinus infection however the same pain I had then was what I had a few weeks ago. My ear hurt but the jaw bone beside my ear was so sore I was not able to touch it. I think last year the antobotics just masked the jaw bone infection but this time, it got the best of me.
I am out of the hospital but my right jaw is locked. My surgery was 2 weeks and 2 days ago. At this point, I don't know if my jaw will ever open but I sure hope so. I can only open my mouth just enough for liquids. I have lost 21 pounds. If you do believe you have a jaw bone infection I would highly suggest you go see a ENT as he/she will be able to treat you. That is who did my surgery and will treat me in the future.
I am freaked out that this may come back and I hope it will not. The doctors were unable to determine how or why this happened but only that it was a bacterial infection in the jaw bone. By the time they did emergency surgery on me, the infection had spread to my brain. Please for you sake, don't play around with this. I almost lost my life to this jaw bone infection. I am being told it will take months for me to heal. I am not alble to go out in public as I could take the flu or anything and have a relapse. I am 38 years old, never been sick with anything major in my life. This was the 1st time I was ever in the hospital not counting having kids. Trust me, you could be 100% healthy one day and knocking on deaths door the next. PLEASE, see a ENT and have more test run because you do not want to end up like I did.

Is your jaw better now?
I just went through a something similar.
Has a tooth (lowe Moler on the bottom right side) that started hurting really bad last week. I has started swelling under my jaw and the glands under my jaw on the inside portion, under my neck, and then sore back at my ears and at the joint of the jaw. Had the tooth pulled, it was scheduled for a root canal but that dock said it was cracked down the middle and root canal would not help in saving the tooth so I had it pulled. Right after the pulling, it started getting more sore and swelling more ever day. The pain got to were it was unbearable afeter 2 days. Antibiotics was not helping, every day it was getting bigger with more intense pain. Ended up going to the hospital to get drains up in to relive the presssure. Also, my jaw has started getting stiff before the tooth was exctracted. Just got out of the hospital this afternoon. Only stayed in there for 2 days getting the steroid shot and Antibiotics. My oral surgen say he wants to take the drains out tomorrow, and although the swelling has gone down, there is still a lots of pain in the glands, and jaw goint. I still feel something is not healed up properly and I am scared as soon as the drains are out, the swelling will return and I will be seeking relief in the near future. I have been through the worse 9 days in my life and want it to be over with.
How is your jaw now, do you still have mobility in it? How lond did it take, if you are free from pain?
What were the symtoms that it had worked it'sway into the brain?
Thanks, David

Hi there I have read your story I have been seriously poorly for nearly 3 years I have a jaw bone infection 16 root canals 7 teeth pulled in chronic pain it started with a 1st upper molar root infection that went into the sinus and maxilla. I ended up so I'll dentist doctors ent and maxillofacial ignored me and my infection went undetected for 18 months. My immune system is poor I had major operation in hospital after taking and overdose to get away from the pain and still I was told I was making it up since then I had 13 draining sessions and jaw bone removed from above all 7 teeth and obviously the teeth and I am still very sick. I haven't met anyone else like me so I was very interested in your story. I would like to know more as your also female and a similar age to me. My name is Lisa

hi i have same problem , also have been prescribed amoxacillin for five days hope yours clears

I am going to get a bone scan tomorrow for possible bone infection. Two and a half years ago, my dentist noticed that the only tooth I have ever had filled(had filled over 20 years ago) for a cavity had been fractured by the previous dentist when filling, so she re-did cavity but 6 months later, started noticing sensitivity to cold and hot. Needed a root canal, so went to Endodontist, it got infected repeatedly and a lot of swelling, inable to complete. Had huge pockets of swelling outside on cheeks, ear hurt and hard to hear out of. Went to Ent, took CT scan of sinus-sinus cavity clear. Went to second Endodontist, he did surgery on roots and finished procedure but unable to complete the crown due to pain. Went thru the root canal process for 13 months and finally decided to have tooth pulled even though they said was fine and no crack anymore(crack was pulled out when new filling put in). I decided to have tooth extracted because I keep having jaw pain swelling, tooth and gum pain, over all sick feeling that gets better with antibiotics. As soon as I go off- am sick again. After I had tooth extracted 3 weeks ago, I got worse, even being on amoxicillen. After finishing prescription 2 days ago, I am getting worse. My Doctor who is an internest thinks its possibly a bone infection- the scary thing is that I have been having these symptoms for over 20 years and always thought they were sinus infections. Ct scans over 4 of them have all been clear but I have been on antibiotics every year for the past 20 years. Has anyone ever mistaken sinus infections for bone infections? The pain seems to be very close from what I can see.

Lannie

Hi Laurannie I have now 53 hours of serious oral surgery hardly any upper jaw bone left me condition is serious I'm unable to work I had now 23 draining sessions the infection has spread into my head if you live in the UK you must go to see Dr Andy Lane at Appolonia House in Oldham it may just be the person to save you. he has saved my life. Ee have just found out this week as I cannot fight the infection I have an underlying problem with my white and red infection fighting cells which is why my immune system inst working and I'm so sick so were trying to fix this to give my body half a chance it's a long term fix by the way I had 16 lots of antibiotics over last 2 years this had made resistance worse which is another reason why I'm so I'll those antibiotics will never get rid of your infection what they will do is disguise what's really happening give you a false pick up and deplete any good bacteria you need to fight this thing. Get your immune system checked ASAP.. Good luck it's a long road I been to hell and back

I think I'm starting to get an infection on my chin. I'm 12 years old, and it looks like a giant red bump, so at first when it emerged I thought was a pimple. Before it started to develop, it looked like a small bruise and I just iced it. The next morning it started getting redder and then it emerged while I was in school. It opens occaisionally, like pimples usually do but then it closes back with more pain. It hurts like it's swollen from my left upper neck- jaw bone up to my lower lip, but there isn't any redness.

I have had two infections, now three, in the past two months. The first was on my right forearm, and it was opened and drained by a doctor and its now closed and never hurts, the doctor said it was a bugbite. The second was on my leg, and I got it when I scratched it and then noticed it when it hurt to put pressure on my right leg in the area that the turning red swell was on. It opened while in the shower, and then the heat compress I got from visiting the doctor drained it more. With this infection, I heated it very opened but it only opened twice and didn't drain and closed back up.

It  may be a jaw bone infection, although I'm not sure. If you are on antibiotics often, like I am, you should only take them if you absolutely have to because they breed resistant infection-inducing bacteria. From what I have read/ heard of jaw bone infections, and bone infections in general, surgery is most likely necessarry. It may not be at all pleasent, but you will be so thankful when the infection goes away. Afterwards, once it is healed, it's good to go to the doctor if anything you think may be an infection occurs/develops. It may be paranoia (or a pimple, as I am still really hoping it is) but better safe than sorry when it comes to infections

Hi I am wondering how you figured out you had a jaw bone infection? I have had discomfort in my back gum when i press on it for six months now & lots of sinus issues/ear/gland pain & they cannot figure out why. I am finally just getting a ct scan ordered for next tuesday which i cannot believe they waited this long to order.

I've just finished a 5 day course of amoxacillin for a 'bone infection' following a root canal treatment. I feel a lot better, but my jaw just below the tooth that was treated is still tender to the touch. no other side effects. Did the amoxacillin work for you?

Thats me totally.itsbeen 5yrs.ive been fighting jaw issues,been to emergency room 5times,only to be given amoxicillin.i have medicaid and am afraid to se dentist,i am really gonna lose my life over this, im constantky having pus leakage in ny lower jaw,,pain,fever,chills, it goes awsy for a week,then its back!how discouraging, i have only medicaid,no dental coverage,,so what can i do?