Hi

I have fairly recently undergone an ankle arthoscopy for debridement of scar tissue, removal of bone spurs and and as I have found from decihering the surgeons handwriting, micro-fracturing to promote new carltilage growth.

However, now 6 weeks down the line and having taken all the right steps to promote quick recovery, i am considerably worse off. In dorsiflexion i have increased pain, less range of movement and i need to be fit rather soon.

Has anyone undergone similar surgery, and if so what was the recovery time to full health. I know this is subjective, but usually 6 weeks is sufficient time for ful recovery. I have contacted the nhs to discuss complications and having a prompt follow up, but to no avail. I find it immensley frustrating and feel like i'm coming up against the brick wall that can be the nhs.

this is not a rant, but i find it ueful to find out if anyone has similar symtoms.

any advice/words of wisdom greatly apprectiated....

Hi mate,

Im about to have ankle athroscopy tomorrow to remove some spurs. Im really keen to get back to sport in the suggested 6 to 8 weeks time. Let me know how ur recovery is going?

theBird

Hello
My mom just had arthroscopic ankle surgery on Feb 25 2009. Prior to the surgery she broke her ankle in Dec 2006. The purpose of this surgery was to help her with her dorsi and plantar felxion.

Post the surgery he dorisflexsion seems worse. She is still feeling a lot of pain. She cannot walk on her ankle, and uses crutches.

Hopefully things will change.
Keep me posted on ur recovery.
Thanks

Hello, I had surgery on 3/20/09 where there was debris cleaned out and bone scraped. It has now been 6 weeks and I can honestly say I am not any better at all - in fact, some days I think it is worse. I have been going to physical therapy 3 times a week for 3 weeks and that has helped minimally.

At this point, I am frustrated and very discouraged. I was told I would be playing tennis in 6 weeks and running by the middle of June. Obviously, that has not happened. I can only walk very short distances and can only stand about 10 minutes. I have had these limitations since I hurt my ankle in October 2008 and surgery has not done one thing to alleviate the pain or to improve my limitations!

I have an appointment with my doctor on Monday and hope I will get some answers, besides "give it time." I have already "given it time" - and lots of pain, pain medication, ice, elevation, swelling, tears...(you get the picture).

Good luck with each of your recoveries. If you have any words of encouragement, I will gladly listen!!

Barbara

When waiting for my ankle arthroscopy last year I found this site very helpful: there are loads of videos, articles and easy ways of getting the facts straight. I was lucky enough to recover well within a couple of months with some help from my Physio.

Hi

Im on week 6 of recovery from the same operation. I still cant put full weight on just a bit of weight on the ball of my foot also there is about 50% movement in the ankle, im still using crutches to get around.
I was just wondering if there is any good news? when did people fully recover and return to sport etc?

Your answers would be much appreciated and hopefully put my mind at rest.

Cheers

Rob

i`ve had the same procedure as you and im having the same problems but mines only been two weeks and my ankle still gives way did you have this problem?

After two weeks I was still very reliable on crutches and if I did bare full wieght I knew about it.

its been 10 months now and its still stiff ive got about 80% movement back in it and sometimes it gives way when ive been walking around alot. All I can say to you is do your physiotherepy every day (when you start it) it seems like a pain in the arse at the time but 15-20 mins a day will make it stronger in the long run. Hopefuly!

Hope this helps.

Rob

I understand it is very frustrating. Not everyone is the same.

In my case I end up having Three surgeries on my left ankle. The first for a complete ankle reconstruction( Feb 1, 2011). After that one, I was back on my feet, bearing full weight in a walking cast in 10 days. After about 6 months I never really felt healed and pain free. I ended up needing a second surgery (Dec 7, 2011) to remove lots of scar tissue higher on my achilles tenton, as well as a muscle not growing in the proper place. Again, I was back on my feet in a walking cast 10 days later. From this surgery My ankle incision never wanted to close. Come to find out, my body was reacting to the internal stiches. So after 2 month from that second surgery, I had a 3rd surgery (Feb 8, 2012) to remove those and change them to the kind I had during the first surgery. I am currenting 3 weeks post op, and already able to run. Even considering I wasn't even able to start my physical therapy from the 2nd surgery. My ankle is feeling great. I am still going to go through the physical therapy to insure strengthening of the surrounding muscles.

All in all, just remeber not everyones case will be similar to your own. Bodies heal differently, injuries happen differently, and everyone's health conditions are different. If you feel like there is a problem, speak up to your doctor. If they refuse to listen, you have a right to seek a second opinion.

Stick in there, and never give up.

I had a nasty ligament tear six years ago, that injury took a year to heal. All was fine after that, except for a ghost pain I would get every now and then. May 2011 - I tripped and developed a minor sprain in the same region, but it refused to heal despite RICE, physical therapy etc. I met several doctors and the common opinion they shared was to undergo an arthroscopy.

I had an ankle arthroscopy in Feb 2012 and the surgeon discovered scar tissue (possible from the first injury) as well as cartilage damage. He also gave me a synivisc injection three weeks after the surgery as he found low levels of synovial fluid in the joint.

I was on a slow and steady healing process, where the first month was a lot of rest with minimal join movement and the second month onwards I started physiotherapy, increasing my weight bearing by 10% week by week. I know for a fact physiotherapy really helped as my ankle got stronger, but I was not allowed to walk - used crutches for 3 months.

But thing took a weird turn after that - I woke up one day (during 90% weight bearing, when I had started taking small steps in the house) with a swollen foot, stiffness and a runny discharge from one of the wounds (this particular wound was taking the longest time to heal, my other wound healed beautifully).

My doc suspected a synovial fistula and prescribed antibiotics for 3 days to prevent infection. Unfortunately, the same evening, my foot was like a red balloon and I developed a fever. The discharge was worse than ever and had a nasty stench. I had to change my dressing 6-7 times a day, the discharge was that bad.

I rushed to the hospital the next morning and my doctor took a culture sample of the discharge and concurred that the foot had developed an infection. I was rushed to the OT where my surgeon performed an arthroscopic lavage (clean-up) and restitched the wound. This was three weeks ago. I am currently on heavy antibiotics and my doctor is treading very carefully because the culture reports indicated an e-coli infection - how the damn thing reached my foot is anyone's guess. And why it happened 3 months after the surgery seemed to puzzle him as well.

This setback forced me to cancel a one month assignment that was set to take place in Africa, compete with a safari and all. I want to know if anyone else developed ankle joint infections after an arthroscopy and if it came in the way of the ankle healing/strengthening. It has been four months since my first surgery and I am still on crutches - most frustrating.

None of this sounds encouraging.  I had orthroscopic ankle surgery four months ago to correct scar tissue and bone spurs from an injury that occurred forty years ago and has become very arthritic.  I was in pain before, which is why I chose the surgery but now I can not walk without a cane or stand on my feet for more than a very short amount of time.  My Doc says the pain is from arthritis, not a result of the surgery.  I wish I had a "do over" on this decision I made regarding surgery.   

I had the surgery last January (about 8 months ago). I am 50% better but only when walking normally. I still cannot, however, run fast or do flexible movements and turns on my ankle. A year ago I could play football, but now I still cannot. There is still pain in my ankle. My doctor said that a year has to pass since the day of the surgery in order to see big improvements. Another 4 months are left. However, I have to say that the progress has been very slow. I am starting to get worried that the athroscopy might not have worked.

Nicos

My surgery was 2 months ago the scar was cut back open by the doc because of an infection so if a piece of string comes out dont worry its suture i made the mistake of pulling it out! Oh yeah does anyone know why when i touch around the scar i get a tingly feeling shoot threw my foot?

hi sorry to bear bad news but i had microsurgery on my ankle 12 months ago. my ankle had full movement with no restrictiuon or pain, now movement is restricted and very painfull and ankle just every so often collapses on me.

still seeing specialist, i am seeing him this tues, this time there will be harsh words spoken.

i am 51 and i was lead to believe that 6 weeks would be good, 12 months later ha ha

I had my injury back in September 2013 and after going to the hospital for various appointments no one was able to tell me what's wrong(I had 2 X-ray and a CT scan).      In the meantime I start see my phisyo and she was able (with manipulating my ankle )to understand what was wrong with my ankle. I was tried to get an MRI from the hospital because by private cost au$500 and after over 2 months I was able to get one that shows more clearly Tears ligament on both sides and a micro fracture plus other small things. Taking this scan to the hospital the doctor says that I didn't need to have a surgery, maybe in the future if required,and to carryon to do Physio.           When I saw my phisyotherapist she said that I was need a surgery and to stop doing exercise otherwise will get worst. Anyway I decide to go private and had a surgery done on the 2 December 2013 (arthroscopy). the surgeon told me to have a minimal movement for 2 weeks and then a gentle weight bearing with my toes. I start a gentle wb but I got a very sharp pain under my foot when try to put pressure like a nerve pinch. My fear is that a damage to the nerves it's been done but I will see my surgeon afte the Christmas holidays. I got no feeling sensation on the top of my foot as well and I know that can be a possibility post surgery.  Plus I got a 40% movement but I have to be gentile because the work done to the cartilage. Anyone with an issue to the nerves?

im working in a restaurant and I can tell you the frustration I have because I can't work until I'm 95-100% able to walk.

Another things, when I walk/stand with the crutches my foot become red and can become a bit dark in colour. Anyone had something simile?

Hopefully everyone will get results soon

Giovanni