I have a friend who had sports injuries, and now he needs to have done some jaw wiring. However, I have heard this procedure is done commonly in cases of automobile accidents, falls, or fistfights. Now I wonder could it be the same procedure for all these different purposes. Could you tell me more about procedure of jaw wiring, how is it done? I am very much interested into this, and I do not have someone to ask.

There are a few different situations where the jaw might be fractured or broken, as you said. In these cases, jaw wiring may be necessary to keep the bones aligned and stable while the jaw heals, as your friend needs. Beside these purposes, the presence of cancer or other diseased tissues may make removal and reconstruction of the jaw necessary. Wiring the jaws shut has been used in the past as a weight loss aid in cases of extreme obesity. This should be done if every other treatment had failed. However, this procedure is rarely used for that purpose today as it used to be done before. Jaw wiring is also known as maxillomandibular fixation. That is a surgical procedure where metal pins and wires are anchored into the jawbones and surrounding tissues to keep the jaw from moving when it is needed. Jaw wiring surgery can be performed by an oral or maxillofacial surgeon or by an otolaryngologist. I guess in your friend’s case it is possible to wait up to several weeks until the swelling goes down and some of the soft tissue injuries have healed, prior to wiring the jaw fracture.