I have been playing golf for 13 years. The last 2 years I’ve been experiencing pain in my right elbow every time I tried to play. I read in some sport magazine that my condition is called “Golfers Elbow”. Can you tell me something more about this condition? Why does it happen and how can I treat the pain?

Golfers elbow or "medial epicondylitis" occurs when there is damage to the muscles, ligaments and tendons around the elbow joint and forearm. Small tears in the tendons and muscles which control the movement of the forearm are causing a restriction of movement, inflammation and pain. These so called micro tears eventually lead to the formation of scar tissue and calcium deposits. The most common cause of golfers elbow is overuse, but there are also other causes like direct injury like fall onto elbow. Before any activity be sure to warm up and stretch all the muscles and tendons which will be used during your sport activity. Rest, ice, compression and elevation are some of the treatments that need to be done at least the first 48 hours. The next phase of treatment (after the first 48 hours) involves a number of physiotherapy techniques, like the application of heat and massage (one of the most effective treatment).