i had an ankle arthroscopy two weeks to remove scar tissue n bits of bone and cartilage that were in my joint to stop the crunching and cracking that i used to get in my joint. i am still having crunching and cracking in the joint and my ankle is still really unstable if not worse than what is was before my op. just wondering if anybody else has had these issues. 

I had a nasty ligament tear six years ago, that injury took a year to heal. All was fine after that, except for a ghost pain I would get every now and then. May 2011 - I tripped and developed a minor sprain in the same region, but it refused to heal despite RICE, physical therapy etc. I met several doctors and the common opinion they shared was to undergo an arthroscopy.

I had an ankle arthroscopy in Feb 2012 and the surgeon discovered scar tissue (possible from the first injury) as well as cartilage damage. He also gave me a synivisc injection three weeks after the surgery as he found low levels of synovial fluid in the joint.

I was on a slow and steady healing process, where the first month was a lot of rest with minimal join movement and the second month onwards I started physiotherapy, increasing my weight bearing by 10% week by week. I know for a fact physiotherapy really helped as my ankle got stronger, but I was not allowed to walk - used crutches for 3 months.

But thing took a weird turn after that - I woke up one day (during 90% weight bearing, when I had started taking small steps in the house) with a swollen foot, stiffness and a runny discharge from one of the wounds (this particular wound was taking the longest time to heal, my other wound healed beautifully). 

My doc suspected a synovial fistula and prescribed antibiotics for 3 days to prevent infection. Unfortunately, the same evening, my foot was like a red balloon and I developed a fever. The discharge was worse than ever and had a nasty stench. I had to change my dressing 6-7 times a day, the discharge was that bad.

I rushed to the hospital the next morning and my doctor took a culture sample of the discharge and concurred that the foot had developed an infection. I was rushed to the OT where my surgeon performed an arthroscopic lavage (clean-up) and restitched the wound. This was three weeks ago. I am currently on heavy antibiotics and my doctor is treading very carefully because the culture reports indicated an e-coli infection - how the damn thing reached my foot is anyone's guess. And why it happened 3 months after the surgery seemed to puzzle him as well. 

This setback forced me to cancel a one month assignment that was set to take place in Africa, compete with a safari and all. I want to know if anyone else developed ankle joint infections after an arthroscopy and if it came in the way of the ankle healing/strengthening. It has been four months since my first surgery and I am still on crutches - most frustrating.

I just had my 2nd one done because of all the same issues happened again within a yr of the last. Its not been 3wks and its still killing me!