I have grandmother who is diagnosed with fractured hip. I was so sad when she had accident, and I can see she is suffering now. I know there is not much I can help her, but being nice with her. Anyway, I would like to know more about fractured hip. Can you tell me more about this injury, and what is actually problem with this?

Fractured hip refers to a broken bone in the hip, a key health problem among the elderly. Usually it is due to a fall or other kind of trauma involving direct impact to the hipbone. That is easier to get fractured hip at elder population, because they bones are weakened by osteoporosis. The part of the hip that is most often broken is the greater trochanter of the femur. In older people, the leading risk factors for falls and for hip fractures include weakness, gait and balance disorders, and functional, visual or cognitive impairment. About a quarter hospitalized people survive for less than a year because of the fracture or its complications. Problem is also that most of those who survive have substantial reductions in their ability to walk and their ability to function in daily life. Exercise programs, inspection, and control of hazards in the living environment significantly reduce the incidence of falls and fractured hip. Osteoporosis can be treated with a variety of medications, such as estrogen, calcium, and vitamin D. The use of impact-absorbing hip protectors for those at high risk for hip fractures appears to be dramatically helpful, and this has been called a breakthrough in fracture prevention.

I broke my hip almost 9 months ago... I am 25 and I fell very hard on a drive way just right while running. I was in ok shape when it first happened but I am still recovering. My recommendation is to get a good physical therapist and make sure and have her go at least twice a week (I was going twice a week for land work and once a week for pool). The physical therapy has been a life send.