Hi. A friend of mine was diagnosed with Paget`s disease. I would like to hear something about Paget`s disease treatment. I know it is aimed to reduce the rate of bone loss and build up new bone. Is there a cure?

Hi. There is no cure for Paget`s disease. Treatment is aimed to manage the symptoms and, like you said, to reduce the rate of bone loss. Therapy of Paget`s disease works best when started early. People diagnosed with Paget`s disease are usually being referred to a rheumatologist, or endocrinologist. Treatments can reduce the pain and slow the progression of illness. Meds can be prescribed. They include bisphosphonates, helpful in rebuilding bone, and calcitonin, that slow bone loss and growth. Sometimes, acetaminophen is suggested. NSAIDs may be prescribed. Well balanced diet is very important. People with Paget`s disease should eat foods rich in calcium.