Cold turkey, it is possible but very difficult. I have weened myself over the past week. I made it down to 1/2 a cig a day and I know the next step is simply quiting, and staying quit this time. How many of you have quit a hundred times, or quit twenty times a day. I have been there too. I would love to help anyone, in anyway that I can. I can only so far though, the best help ever is right upstairs. At first I was doubtful, but I asked God for help, I know he has helped. He can help you to if you let him, Let go and let God.

P.S. Starving for some ouside input here, love to hear from you.

Day 2 Had 1 cig last night around 10, none yet today ~11 am.
Dan

New Hope
Hey buddy,

I'm glad you've decided to quit smoking. First week of abstention is hardest. Later, it's easy. Very important thing is to change your usual schedule a bit, like drinking coffee. You should be very proud of yourself because smoking cigarettes sux. Clothes are smelling bad, rooms are smelling bad, everything around smokers is smelling bad. Your senses will appreciate changes and after some time, 15 days to month you will notice that bad smell around other smokers. You will avoid spaces where other people smoke and that's good. I'm telling you buddy that you will hate cigarettes' smoke more than any non-smoker.

Good luck and remember that you will feel much healthier without cigarettes!

Regards,
marcus

Hi there! I wouldn’t want to sound to cocky but I quit cold turkey after 8 years of heavy smoking. Some people say that eight years is nothing compared to 20 and I can’t argue with that because I have no insight what would be like to have smoked for 20. However, an addiction is an addiction and it takes a lot of courage, persistence and even support to get through this. The most important thing is persistence and willingness to go through with it.

Here’s my story: I decided to quit and there was an organized program in the hospital to help people quit smoking, so I signed up. My father suffers from asthma and smoke really bothered him and my boyfriend was/is non-smoker but he never put any pressure on me quitting. I went to the hospital, signed up, had some tests done….blood, urine, heart, etc…..i had a conversation with the doctor in charge and I got a list of things I should do as well as what things I should avoid doing as well as what nutrients I should avoid to help me get nicotine out of my system.
It was quite some time that I didn’t enjoy smoking, that it bothered me but still had moment of incredible joy when smoking especially with the first morning coffee, when I was nervous, or when I felt especially good and when drinking beer.
So, I quit on the 1st May (hey, that’s two years tomorrow) and only had half a cigarette on the 3rd May on my friend’s wedding.

Since we all know the story about quitting smoking and gaining weight, I immediately started a diet because I am genetically predisposed to weight gain. So, I got rid of sweets, coffee, fatty foods and started low-fat diet and excluded sodas, I started exercising regularly but I did drink beer. I had no problems with drinking beer and not-smoking (although I thought I would).
Anyway, things kind of went smooth, I did have images in my mind of perfect cup of coffee and a ciggy but I would instantly get rid of that image from my mind, over and over-I knew it was what I had to do because ire ally wanted to quit smoking. During my quitting period I watched other smokers and noticed what a nasty habit it was. People would rather bring their cigarettes than keys when leaving home, I watched that nasty grey smoke coming from their mouth and an addiction of having to have that cigarette. I saw myself there as well and I didn’t want to go back. I didn’t want to go out at 1 am to get some cigarettes when I would run out, so that I could smoke first thing in the morning with my first coffee.

So, it’s been two years and I am cigarette free. Actually, this New Year’s Eve I asked a cigarette from my friend and I lighted one. It was awful. It felt like the first time I smoked, nasty feeling in my mouth. I gave it back to him immediately but not before I took another smoke to make sure it was that bad.
Second time I had too smokes was with my friend in a pub (it was two months ago), I took two smokes, I had the same awful feeling from the New Years Eve and yet I became nauseas from it, so I just gave it away. I am happy to be cigarette free.

Strong cravings, but not stronger than me. I can breath much easier allready, steak actually taste like steak, sleeping is easier too. I am glad that I decided to do this, if I can do it anyone can and God can help you too if you let him.
Dan

Failing miserably, but it still isnt over.

Feeling better.

I know how you feel it's day four for me god is this tough,but i keep asking god to help and i know he is because i could'nt do this myself. :-)

all I can tell you guys is you should go to whyquit.com, amazing site you can read "joels library" amazing site with all the info you could ever want to know about smoking. scared me straight. and on the smae site you can join "fredom from tobacco" AN AWSOME SMOKING CESSATION GROUP! to jion you have to quit cold turkey. finding that site was the best thing that ever happened to me! check it out!

Hi i need a support group to stop. any information on that. thanks.
rcolly

a year later and I am on the patch and zyban, I have been trying everything I know. God, exercise, healthy eating, a support person. I end up picking up somewhere in the day.

This is to anyone out there quitting cold turkey, or with another vice. This is my story, Almost a year ago I met my best friend. When I told him that I hated the hold that smoking had on me, he made it his mission to "help" me quit. At first I didn"t take it that seriouse. He did!! I realized that I was going to loose more than just my best friend if I didn"t beat my addiction. Through ALL the critisisim I found the support I needed and Finally lit up for the last time. Once I did that I realized just how bad ot smells and gross it is and that still aids me EVERY day to never pick it up again. So to all the beginners, I begg you to stop while you can. To everyone out there that is overwhelmed by the thought of quitting. I know you can do it. once you have, it"s not that scarry any more.