Hey all. I am bit sad during these holidays cause my best friend lost her cat. She was sick for years but she was such a cheerful, happy cat, that we never though that she wouldn’t make it through that disease. Sadly, she didn’t. She had chronic kidney failure and even though we took really good care of her, she had her therapy and everything, we had to euthanize her about a week ago. Anyway, why I am here is not to talk about that but to ask you what are the causes of chronic kidney failure in cats? Thanks in advance

Hey Ruby,

I’m very sorry to hear about your friend’s cat. It’s very sad when our little fury friends leave us.

It’s bad that she had chronic kidney failure, renal kidney failure is easier to treat, some people say that chronic failure is almost untreatable. The exact causes of chronic kidney failure still remain unclear even to vets, but some of the causes can be the following: kidney infections and blockages, advanced dental disease, high blood pressure, thyroid problems or even cancer.

White acute renal failure takes place immediately, chronic renal failure happens over a course of months or even years and is hardly noticeable. But it remains untreatable.

Hey guys,

I’m sorry to hear this too, Ruby. I’m sure that the cat had a wonderful life with your friend. :)

You couldn’t do much about this, honey, so don’t torture yourself about it. Tell the same thing to your friend. Chronic renal failure is not a treatable disease so you couldn’t really do much to help the cat.

I know that the worst cause of the kidney failure is cancer. And I know that trouble with thyroid glands can lead to this, too. If your cat had hypo or hyperthyroidism, she was likely to have chronic kidney failure.

Your little friend is in a better place now. :)

Hey there. I know how she feels because I lost my cat in the summer. She died when we came back from the holidays and since that day I really don’t want to have a cat. Or any other pet. :/ I am really sad.
It can happen to every cat of all ages and it is usually a result of some position, trauma, shock, infection of the kidneys, hearth failure…
I am not so sure what was the main cause of chronic kidney failure in my cat, but my vet told me that she was acting like she had some big trauma in the last couple of months. I don’t know what could happen.
She was often home alone…

Hey there.

Look your cat’s kidney do many important things. As you already know they help manage blood pressure, make hormones and red blood cells. It also remove waste from her blood. You need to know that chronic kidney failure is hard to treat. You could read the causes, but can you recognize signs of this?

Signs are : frequent peening, drinking a lot of water, weight loss, decreased appetite, vomiting, diarrhea, bad breath, brownish tongue, dry coat, etc.

When you notice symptoms go to your vet. Your vet will do blood and pee tests, x – rays, ultrasound.

Numerous of cause can cause this. I am pretty sure that you can’t prevent it :/

Hey.

I could swear that cause of chronic kidney failure in cat is unknown. I was sure at this. All I know that this is not treatable and there is no way to prevent it. Still it is very hard to speak about the causes because every cat can react on certain situation on totally different way. Cancer and tumor is just one of the cause but in this case I believe that you and your vet cannot do a lot of things for your cat. My friend lost her cat due chronic kidney failure. Her kidneys just stopped working.

Hey everyone,

I can agree wish DS991, that chronic kidney failure is a not a treatable disease and the causes of it are unknown.

It always occurs in middle age and old age cats. It actually occurs very early, the kidneys are starting to work at a lower rate and go lower and lower throughout the years. So it takes a lot of time for kidneys to go to the critical stage and for you to be able to see any signs of trouble with the kidneys in your cat.

Since there is nothing you can do about this, the best thing you can do is be there for your cat through her last days.

Hi everybody,
I’m always surrounded by people who own cats and dogs since I am a pet lover myself. I know a lot of people whose dogs and cats had chronic renal failure and I don’t know of a single case where their pet was healed and the chronic renal failure was gone.
Regarding that, and the stuff that I read on the internet, this disease seems to be untreatable and the causes seem to be unknown.
Unlike acute renal failure which takes place immediately and can be treated, chronic renal failure takes few years until it becomes a serious threat to your cat. And it cannot be
healed.

I think that this is the worst thing that can happen in cats. It can be caused by some infections and the most common infection is pyelonephritis. It is bacterial infection of the kidneys.
So this is just one more case that you don’t have influence on it and you can’t prevent it.
Look guys whenever your cat is diagnosed with this problem you should not blame yourself. It can happen to every cat, it doesn’t make any difference did you take a good care of your cat, did you feed her right, etc.
If your cat has this or any other kidney infection you should check her blood and let your vet do soma analyses.
That should keep this disease under control.