I`m 58 years old and have diabetes. A week ago I started to feel tired and couldn`t eat. Also, I have a need to urinate more than usual and thought I got cold, flu or something. But the doctor told me I have a kidney disease. He has found that I have a high blood pressure, too. Anyway, the first step of the treatment is to control my diabetes and high blood pressure to slow down additional damage to my kidney. Doctor gave me an eating plan, exercise program (?), and told me to avoid painkillers, dehydration and to quit smoking. Would like to know something more about kidney disease. And why do I have to exercise, I`m 58!

Hi, chronic kidney disease is a condition that damages your kidneys – it can eventually lead to kidney failure, if not treated. Chronic kidney disease can give you high blood pressure, but on the other hand, chronic kidney disease may be cause by high blood pressure and diabetes. Diabetes and high blood pressure are the main reasons for getting this disease. The doc has told you well – exercise can help you control diabetes and blood pressure. Also, stop smoking – a friend of mine is a smoker and he end up with atherosclerosis. This disease reduces blood flow to your kidneys and increases blood pressure (and you already have a problem with that).