Hi. My son is 7 years old and yesterday he noticed some blood in his urine. He feels an urge to urinate and when he does, it is quite painful for him. I have kidney stones and I fear he has a same problems. How common are kidney stones in children? What could be his problem?

Hi. Kidney stones in children are not very common at all. Older kids are more likely to develop kidney stones than children less than 2 years old. So, age is an important factor in developing stones. The causes of kidney stones in children are inherited problems that lead to cystine or xanthine. Most of kids with urinary stones have an abnormality of the urinary tract, including obstructions of the kidney and ureter, or certain diseases. Removal of kidney stones in children includes extracorporeal shock wave lithotripsy.