Hello! I have bladder stones and I have a question about it. I want to ask you if it is true that lithotripsy is effective for bladder stones. I have heard this from a friend of mine. She told me that she has heard for some people whom used lithotripsy and get rid of their bladder stones. I want to know something about this procedure, too. Thank you in advance!

Hello! Lithotripsy is shock wave procedure which is used for braking bladder stones, kidney stones, etc. This is non surgical and outside of body procedure. I can tell you that this procedure is pretty effective and that you should try it. You will be put in a tub which is full of water. Using X-rays it will be found position of your bladder stones and with shock waves they will be treated. After this procedure you may fill some small pain and discomfort, but do not worry, you will get painkiller drug before this procedure. Lithotripsy takes from 30 to 1 hour.

vanni397 describes an older form of lithotripsy for kidney stones, but it is not recommended for bladder stones. The most common treatment for bladder stones is a minor surgery via the urethra, called transurethral cystolitholapaxy. It fragments the stone with an energy source such as a pulsed holmium laser or spark-induced pressure wave (electrohydraulic, EHL). See an excellent discussion at

The url of the citation is deleted in this posting. Otherwise it would have been very helpful.