I'm a 17 year old male and about 3-4 months ago I had a lot of pain in my lower back. My fathers side of the family has a long history of kidney stones ( he just had a 14mm stone that had to be broken up). Anyways the doctors said that I have a kidney stone in my left kidney that is less than 1mm. That's not the side that bothers me, they also found a 2mm stone in my right kidney. They say this isn't causing the pain but yet I'm at a constant 7/10 on the pain scale off meds. On the meds it reduces to a 4/10 and the severe pain episodes are less frequent. I've been on and off the meds now for the last couple months but I dislike laying around like a vegetable... My pain episodes start with severe sweating and slightly higher pain levels. Then it moves on to excruciating pain that causes screaming or tearing up. Then I feel the need to use the restroom and the pain will then max out at a 10/10 on several occasions this pain has been so severe that it has caused vomiting to the point of dry heaves. I am considering having my parents take me to the hospital and demand that I have the stone removed upon my next episode of severe pain. I've never felt the testicular discomfort and I have been keeping up with about a gallon of water a day but my urine is still yellow and smes awful.. Does anyone have a recommendation on my next course of action? I'm ready to get this over with. I've had to cancel several meetings with my army recruiter due to severe pain that has prevented me from driving or the use of narcotics ( tylonol codine #3, percocet, endocet,hydrocodine) and alternative pain medications and antiinflammatories (tramydol, mobic). I feel like my life is on hold. Someone please help

Hi Future,

Urine that smells "awful" likely indicates you have an infection.  It could be in the kidneys, ureter, or even the bladder.  The kidney stone may be the trigger.

See another doctor, a urologist, as this is what they specialize in.  1mm or 2mm can cause excruciating pain depending upon where it is - yes, I've had kidney stones too.

You don't want to jeopardize your health with the infection either.

Good luck.

A kidney stone is a solid piece of material that forms in a kidney when there are high levels of certain substances in the urine. These substances are normally found in the urine and do not cause problems at lower levels.

A stone may stay in the kidney or travel down the urinary tract. Kidney stones vary in size. A small stone may pass on its own, causing little or no pain. A larger stone may get stuck along the urinary tract. A stone that gets stuck can block the flow of urine, causing severe pain or bleeding.

One of my friend also was facing this kind of kidney problem and he had to be hospitalized for almost a month as he was not at all concerned about it. He cannot even go to the toilet because of the pain he was facing that time. His doctor examined him and found that he was magnesium deficient which was the reason for his kidney stones.

Best of luck for future.

Hi i have had kidney stone episodes 4 times now in my 67 yrs , extremely painful as everyone describes but it cant always be a magnesium defincency as i have been taking 300mg to 600mg every night for the last 12 yrs which helps my fidigity legs and relaxes me to have a good nights sleep too. So plz don't assume from reading the previous letter that you have a magnisium deficency although it is a very common deficency amongst western society check that you have other symptoms too.