I've been on the depo for almost 2 and a half years. I just came off of it this month. I feel these really bad menstrual cramps to the point where I can't even stand. I've tried taken midol, and ibprofuen for the pain and it only works for 20 minutes. Why is this and what can I try taking for the cramps.

Hi: Tramadol is a good one for cramps, but you have to get a perscription for it! Go and have an internal checkup too, just to make sure everything is ok. It is probably your body getting used to being off the depo.

Hot water bottle on your stomach is good, as is cramp bark (healthfood store). Massage, and I used to use a rolling pin and roll it up and down my stomach. If it continues, you really need to see a gynocologist. You have dysmenorrhea! (Painful Periods) and that usually can't be solved by midol etc. Good luck and I feel for you!!! Stretching your abdomen and pelvic area helps too! any exercise actually - even though that's the last thing you feel like doing i know!

Regular exercise such as walking helps to prevent or at least reduce the severity of menstrual cramps for some women.

Zinc, calcium, and B vitamins obtained in food and supplements have been found to reduce cramps, bloating and other symptoms.

Herbal remedies such as Viburnum prunifolium, Scutellaria, and Cimicifuga raemosa have an antispasmodic effect that may reduce some menstrual cramps.

A warm bath filled with aromatherapy or a heating pad on your lower abdomen and back is often helpful for relieving menstrual cramping. If you don't have a heating pad, you can make one by filling a sock (a men's tube sock works best) with rice and heating it in a microwave over for a few minutes.

Talk to your physician if these tips do not help, there may be an underlying cause. Severe sudden cramps, vomiting, or fever may be a sign of a medical emergency, contact your physician immediately.