Does anyone here take Aleve for their menstrual cramps? I have noticed that sometimes Aleve works wonders, but sometimes it takes a while for it to take effect. Is there anything stronger or better that is over the counter that works faster?

I used Aleve unti it decided it wasn't going to help me anymore. Then i started Advil. I would take 3 every 4 hours. I know 3 seems like a lot, but it's basically a 600mg. ibuprophen/motrin.

I have found that Midol is amazing!! I take three about every four hours.

--LinZ

Thanks. I will look into both of those and see if they work any faster. Aleve is good but sometimes it makes me feel sick even if I eat before taking it.

I have always had really bad cramps. Nothing helped midol, pamprin. I used to have to take so much ibuprofen that I would feel sick to my stomach and light headed. About a year ago a friend mentioned to start taking an aleve tablet once a day for about a week before my period. It works amazing. Sometimes I don't even know I've gotten my period until I go to the bathroom. Take aleve or Midol during period if needed. Hope it works.

I have tried everything under the sun, to try to keep my cramps and heavy bleeding at bay.  Seriously, Aleve is the only OC medication that actually works for me.  At one point I was taking 800 mg of Advil and it was doing nothing for my cramps.  I started taking Aleve the day before my period started when I felt slight cramping and I feel nothing.  By the second day I have debilitating cramps, like I literally can't function from the pain, heavy bleeding etc, but with Aleve I feel nothing!!  It's amazing that 1 pill works for 12 hours, I hate taking pills and with advil I had to take it every 4 hours.

I tried aleve today im regretting it sooo much TTnTT

Aleve did not work for me what so ever. I woke up at 4 in the morning cramping SERVERLY. I took 2 aleve and then went and layed in a hot shower. 9 o'clock rolled around and I was in tears I was hurting so bad, so I had my mom run and get me some midol.. Within 15 minutes I was feeling 100x better. I forgot I was even on my period. Midol works wonders! Ibprophen and Advil also work, well.

MIDOL is the best thing that has ever happened since sliced bread. It's specifically for your period and work's super fast. it is super strong too i don't have cramps, backache, mood swings, anything wrong really when im on it. 

Aleve works but preferably the liquid gel caps. Take it the day before your period start satire and it will reduce your period amount and cramps. U can take it thoughout your whole period and it will be shorter and lighter, depending on your natural flow. Gyn recommended mines for lighter period.

You really shouldn't take it a week before your period, maybe 24/48 hours before.

I'm on my menstraul now and Aleive works wonders..

Aleve takes longer to work or won't work as well if your stomach is full.So don't eat heavy meals,eat light around the time you take it.I take 1 every day five days before my period starts then 1 every 8 hours the first 3 days then when the pain subsides 1 every 12 hours till the pain is gone.

I found out I have PMDD(Premenstrual dysphoric disorder) and take 20 mg of fluoxetine(prozac,sarafem) every day but some women may only need to take it for about 15 days of the month.I use that along with taking Aleve a few days before and during my period.Either 1 Aleve every 12 or 8 hours but never more then 3 a day.My periods are lighter,shorter,and pain free now.Read up on PMDD and ask your doctor about it.There are meds for it.Many women may not even know they have PMDD.

Cramps started 4 hours ago I've now taken 3 aleve and am still in excruciating pain. Calling this a fail