(this is going to be quite long and descriptive, sorry in advance) After a year of extremely long periods (3-4 weeks of spotting or heavy bleeding), I finally got a birth control prescription. It's my fifth week on the pill (I'm skipping the sugar pills).Today is the 2nd of May. On the 24th of July, I started spotting, I knew this could happen while starting on the pill so I paid it no mind. After 4 days of spotting, on the 28th, I started discharging more than usual and the discharge had blood in it. Over the last 5 days, I have been bleeding more and more and getting cramps (the cramps increased intensity each day but stayed mild. The cramps worried me because I usually never have cramps. About 2 hours ago the cramps finally stopped, but I passed it off as the Advil I took kicking in. One hour later I decided to tense my stomach muscles to see if some blood clots would fall out (as one does) and I felt a huge semi-hard clot squeeze its way out. I inspected it in the bathroom and found it was a big chunk of shredded bloody tissue (more tissue than blood) almost the size of a ping-pong ball in a sort of teardrop shape. I know there is a good chance this is a normal thing but its the first time it happens to me and I'm a little worried. 

this is OP again: I forgot to mention the cramps have not come back even though the painkillers I took should have worn off by now (and I wrote July instead of April in the original post so sorry about that)