I was coached to not lift weights with my legs, but rather run hills to develop leg strength. However, I don't run hills all year long.

So this is my question: Do you lift weights with you legs on a regular basis? If you do, can you run the same day? I would assume you run, then lift weights--but if you do this can you run again the following day?

I am wanting to incorporate some leg work into my thrice weekly lift routine.

Yes, I usually do two leg days per week and then 1 chest and arms and and one back and shoulders day.

Typical leg day is squats, calf raises, leg extensions, leg curls, dead lifts and seated calf raises. Some days I'll do ad/abductor muscles too but not always.

Stick with lower weights and higher reps for the most part. I find it very difficult to be fast and do the heavy weights. It just takes it out of me too badly.

I do no weightlifting at all for my lower body. Not saying that's the way to go but that's what seems to work for me. I used to work my quads, hamstrings and calf muscles utilizing heavy weights with low reps in an attempt to increase strength and hopefully speed but I don't feel that it helped me much, if any.

I usually do a few leg exercises twice a week. Normally on a day when I'm swimming or biking. I tend to do them more for the motion than the muscle building aspect. I do leg curls, hamstring extension, adductor and abductor, dead weight and squats. But nice and easy.

I do lower body three times a week...low weight high reps...I run first as my warm-up before strength training but two of the days are my easy running days and the third is my cross training day during which I don't run at all. I never have a problem running the following day, and those are always my hard running days. Long runs, hills, or speedwork. I do mostly leg press, squats, lunges, leg curls, and extensions.

I did weight lifting on my legs. Leg curls and leg extensions. Very good exercises for building good quads and hammies. They were great compliments to my running and cycling