Mondays & Fridays :: Lower Body
  • Squats
  • calf raises
  • Leg Extensions
  • leg curls
  • straight leg dead lifts
  • Adductors
  • Abductors
Wednesdays :: Upper Body (arms and chest)
  • flat bench
  • concentration curls
  • tricep pressdown
  • incline press
  • dumbbell flys
  • Cable Incline Triceps Extension
  • hammer curls
Sundays :: Upper Body (back and shoulders)
  • prone raise
  • lat pull downs
  • behind the neck press
  • seated rows
  • shrugs
  • pull ups
  • upright row
How's it look? Is it broken up properly?

It's four days better than my weight plan right now!

Did you take this from Triathlete Training Bible? it does not sound like and endurance athletes workout. Inquiry minds want to know.

It looks good for overall strength. I try and follow the one off of Trinewbies. It is similar to ones in Triathlete mag etc.

This is a home grown lifting plan to keep me going through the winter since I can't swim or do much riding. I'll back off on intensity when I get through the winter months and can spend more time riding and swimming.

I stuck with the trinewbies plan for a long time but now I'm looking to add more overall strength. But the only set in stone strength goal I have is to be able to squat my body weight x 1.8 (roughly 300 lbs) for 3 set of 6 reps.

Sounds good.

I'm rereading the Tri-Bible and your squat goal seems good. I need more power for hills etc. Now, I either need to lose a lot of weight or do some serious lifting over the winter. According to the 1.8 goal, I need to squat 342 pounds.

I'm no where near being able to squat 1.8 x my body weight.
Not even remotely close.

I think it looks pretty good. Another thing you could add are lunges with weights - pretty good for a runner. And I'm curious about the ab- and adductors, though.

Looks good PH. A nice balance. What kind of rep/sets are you doing

I'm sorry, I should have made myself more plain. I know what ab- and adduction exercises are, but I'm curious as to why you're doing them. Because they're there and nothing says "look at the legs on that dude!" more than a sexy set of ab/addubtors. ;) What kind of rep/sets are you doing?
For the most part, 3 sets of 12 for everything.

Well, you're right there, although I'd be checking out your glutes long before your inner and outer thighs. :P

And you'd be sadly disappointed. I think I'm the world's record holder for smallest glutes. :cry:

Our ab/adductor machines at the gym are seated. We call them the leg spreaders. They look really obscene but I find that they work better and you have more control, like Fla is talking about, on whether you actually are working the correct part or not. I've used the standing kind and did not like them as much.

What's scary is the amount of weight I can pile onto those bad boys....

Fla, question.....what are the benefits of leg extensions over the leg press or sled for quad development? I always use the seated leg press or the sled, mainly for vanity's sake because I can lift way more weight on those.....is there really a big difference in the workout quality?