I need to get back into lifting. However, my schedule makes it tough to get to the gym 3 times a week and with my current ramp up in mileage (goal is 50 mpw, I'm at 30 right now) I don't know if my body could take all the stress. I do all my runs in the evening during the week and mid morning on the weekend. Here is a summary of my weekly training.

Mon - Off
Tue - LT training, Hills, Tempos, etc
Wed - Easy
Thu - LT training, moderate pace runs, Marathon goal pace runs
Fri - Easy
Sat - LSD
Sun - Easy, recovery

I was thinking I would lift on Monday and Friday. What would you suggest? Will lifting on Friday hurt my LSD?

Lifting on Firday may hurt your pace a little on the first few runs but I doubt that you'll notice it after the first few. I do my lower body on Mon and Fri AM and do my speed work on Mon afternoon and LSD on Saturday morning and I don't really notice and residual soreness interfering with my running. I may still be a little sore but it doesn't bother me. I find that when I do upper body (chest and arms) on Wednesday that it bothers me to swim on Thursday.

Right now I lift on my off running days.

Lift, Tues, Thurs, Sat
Run, Mon, Wed, Fri

In about a month I am going to start running every weekday morning, and lifting on Monday and Thursday nights, and Saturday. I do a full body routine, so I cover everything in one 45 minute workout

Lifting on Friday may not hurt much, I would focus more on Upper Body on Friday, and lower the other days.

I agree with Cappy. Running 6 days a week will work your legs in and of itself. Two days' lifting a week should be plenty to enhance your running. Three would be optimal, but.....but since you are only doing 2, I'd do a full body w/o both days, but like Cappy says, concentrate more on the upper body Friday, maybe only do basic stuff like leg presses, extensions, hammie curls and add calf raises and whatever else you do on Monday (and the upper body both days). I personally did lift a few times the day before a long run and was sorry every one of them, but that's just me. I tend to overdo in the weight room because I really enjoy lifting.
What's your current lifting routine, as far as which exercises you do?

Right now I am going to follow the Trinewbies schedule listed here

I think I am going to plan on lifting Monday evenings and Friday mornings. I can get into it, I will try to lift on Wednesday mornings as well. I really need to pump myself up for lifting though, it definitely isn't in my top 1000 of things I like to do.

Upper Body:
  • Bench Press
  • Dumbell Flies
  • Shoulder Shrugs
  • Preacher Curls
  • Dumbell Side Bends
Lower Body:
  • Leg Curls
  • Leg Extensions
Ab work:
  • Crunches, with the bench declined
  • Vertical Knee Raises
With the exception of the crunches (40), all are 3x10, with a 45 second rest between. Can usually get it done in about 35-45 minutes.

Personally I lift three times a week utilizing my off days from running for two of them and an easy running (recovery) day. One of the days I'm off is the day prior to my long run day and it hasn't been a problem for me.

I lift 5 days a week after my run. MWF is arms & chest and T Th is shoulders and abs. It took a while to find a comfortable schedule but I'm happy with it now.