My weekly workouts consist of running, running, and running. I do not belong to a gym and prefer to run outside or on my treadmill. I do some arm toning with free weights and core strengthening exercises but I was wondering what I can do to help strengthen my leg muscles - that would not involve belonging to a gym? I sometimes do lunges or squats but am curious to hear other suggestions. Any ideas you can give me would be great!

well, you pretty much have the basics going. if you do bodyweight exercises (i.e. pushups, sit ups, squats etc) you should be good to go.

you can do things like
dips between 2 chairs
different angle push ups
if you have stairs you can do calf raises off of those
lunges are a great exercise
and of course, situps/crunches till you puke

if you are really interested in a new workout plan, i can find you some decent stuff...just let me know

Summer I think you would be wise to look at an all over exercise program using body weight exercises. All parts of the body have some part to play in running.
You could include simple exercise such as push-ups, sit-ups, dips, chins, lunges, rope climbs; try some single leg squats.
Remember that running is always strengthening your legs.
By running hills you are doing a form of resistance traning; you are pushing your body weight.
Running in calf deep water builds leg strength as dose running on sand or over ploughed ground.

Thanks for the help! I do sit-ups/crunches and push-ups now along with the arm toning exercises. I actually do not do a lot of hill runs but that is definitely something I can add to my trail each week. I have never tried running in water or on sand. I have heard that running on sand has a greater risk of injury.... is this true? I will definitely start doing some of the exercises that you both suggested to me. Thanks again!

I was actually watching Regis and Kelly (I like morning shows) last night that I had Tivo'd from the week before and Kelly showed some of her fitness routine. She gave some good examples of leg exercises that I could do that would help tone and build muscle. She also did some arm exercises too that I hadn't thought of. Of course she also did cardio at the end. Who would have thought that I would learn something like that off of Regis and Kelly?!

who knew you could learn anything of value from tv?

Haha, sometimes it's a shocker and you do find something of value :)