I know this topic has been covered before but please help me out.

When I first started running on the TM I was told that to help avoid shin splints and repetitive use injury that I should vary the incline. When I went to search here and other places I couldn't verify that.

Is it true???

Did you have issues with shin splints before? Personally, I never use incline on the mill. I'll get hills outside.

No, this is for Mr Aire. And he's getting bad shin splints despite having been fitted for shoes and having run without a problem in Iraq. I just walk on the treadmill now.

I had something going on in my shins 2 different times last year always flaring up on the treadmill. It would get so bad I'd be down for 3-4 months no running. Since then I have done calf raises, lunges, squats n deadlifts 3 times a week and have yet to have this re-occur. Although I never went to the Dr. if it wasn't shin splints it was a stress fracture. I really believe balancing out the muscles in the legs helps reduce injuries. Does he lift?

Shin splints are caused by stress on the muscle attachments in the lower leg. Muscle imbalance y chronic tension can add to the conditions that cause shin splints. Stretching the calf muscles (Tight calf muscle can add stress on the shin muscles) as well as the shin muscles can help to alleviate some of the symptoms and strengthening the muscles will help reduce an imbalance that can exist. Also be sure to check for any trigger points in the lower leg that can cause tightness and/or weakness.

The Tibialis Anterior generally is the primary culprit in shin splints, but don t overlook the Extensor Digitorum Longus and the Extensor Hallucis Longus. The function of these muscles is dorsiflexion and inversion of the foot. (the Extensor Digitorum Longus Helps with eversion, of turning the sole of the foot outwards) That is, it raises the after taking a step, allowing it to clear the ground and turns the foot inwards (the making the bottom of the foot face the other foot is an example of inversion). Because of this I would think that running with an incline on a treadmill would make the shin splints worse because after every step the Tibialis Anterior and others would need to flex more to raise the front of the foot higher. Also not running on a flat surface may cause the shin muscles to have to balance the weight of impact with some compensation. I would avoid inclines until the shin splints are resolved.

Thanks for the advice!!

Yes he does lift.

So, no inclines until it improves then.

A combo of those two might help.