When I started running (April) I got a hamstring strain. When I got over it, I went to the gym, and spent 3-4 weeks doing leg curls to strengthen my hamstrings. At first I could only do 20 pounds per leg, for 3 sets of 12 (I know, I'm a wuss). Eventually I could do 50, and that seemed to be good enough, since I didn't have problems with them when I ran anymore.

So I stopped doing the weights (I've only got so much time), kept running 15-20 miles/week, and in September, I started noticing my hamstrings starting to cramp up again when I ran, although now I knew enough to stop before I got a bad strain. Went to the gym, and I was back to only being able to do curls with 20 pounds per leg again. So apparently, although running requires my hamstrings to be strong, it's not enough exercise to keep them strong. That seems kind of counter-intuitive to me.

So is it necessary to constantly use weights to keep my hamstrings strong if I run? What do other people do?

I know this is a silly question: but do you stretch at all before your runs? I find as I am getting older I have to be more specific with my stretches or my leg muscles feel like they're kinking up on me.

The positive effects of resistance training will diminish over time if the muscle isn't continually stressed and forced to overcompensate.
I only do legs in the off season of triathlon and stop in the spring when racing season begins. I just ride the wave that I've built up through the summer and fall and start over again in the winter.

It could also be your stride. Perhaps your quads are too strong for your hamstrings, and you need to either fix your stride (avoid "sitting" during the recovery phase), or you need to continue to strengthen your hams through weight training.

I am personally a big fan of weight training to supplement running or any other cardio sport. For me, the combo of both always seemed to have the best results....but....it does also sound like the injuries may be coming from tightness as much as weakness. What kind of stretching exercises do you do?

Well I honestly don't stretch much. I do minimal light stretching before I run, and if I'm in the mood I'll do some an hour or two after or in the evening. But I've read that a lot of runners don't stretch. And the fact that I'd clearly lost a lot of strength in four months of no lifting seemed like a good explanation of why I was starting to hurt again.

I do very little stretching - maybe a minute or two right before I run and never afterwards. Also don't do any weight work with my legs. My hams and quads seem to have devloped a nice balance between the two with just running. I'm running 25-30 miles a week and keep a fairly brisk pace on most of my runs.