So, I've been doing a lot of biking lately because of an achilles tendon issue. While I like biking, I feel like it can't compare to running, at least emotionally...I don't come home feeling exhilerated. I think it may be how I train...or, rather, resist really tough exercise on the bike. Biking, I always end up daydreaming and biking slower than I should.

What I do like about biking is that it evens my muscles out. El Kid, you were asking about how to make your upper leg muscles leaner...not biking. At last, not in my case. My upper leg muscles look more balanced with my calf muscles now. I'm hoping it also makes my knees stronger.

Also, biking, I hate to say it, but it does seem to make me a better runner. I know some people really don't like to hear that, but cross training wih the bike...I feel like it's made me stronger in different areas of the body that running doesn't improve.

Shelly

I think on the mental side, what biking does for me is I get to see what's on down the road around the next corner a whole lot more than running. My curiosity and wonder of every stretch of road around keeps me pedalling. Cardiowise, it's a great cross-training day workout and also not too draining to include on running days if I commute or want to pedal to a trailhead. And lastly, you're right about working those quads. Running is so largely hammies and calves, a good quad burn balances things out.

You need to get out there and really hammer for an hour. Try to find some place that's low traffic so you don't have to stop too much to catch your breath.
Then you'll know the joys of cycling.

Do some off-road riding or mountain biking. That will definitely cure your boredom and you will feel exhilarated!

Amen! to both of the above suggestions. My quads are lovin' the biking and looking better for it. Since my quads are stronger, I have fewer bouts of knee pain caused by misalignment. Win-win!

Cycling makes me feel like a kid again (even more so than I usually do!) ;)