I am looking to relocate to South America in the next two or three years, and am still thinking about which country to pick. I love Mexico in some ways, I have been there several times and have always enjoyed staying there. I happened to look up the life expectancy and saw it is much lesser than in the US. Why is that?

I saw some report on CNN about Americans moving to Mexico because of its low cost of living and... universal health care system! I would think that you would not personally experience a decline in life expectancy if you take proper care of yourself and do not live in slums. I assume that this is what you are worried about?

Yes and no. I have always been a healthy person and I eat a good diet, take care of my hygiene and make sure I get enough sleep. I am not worried about me all that much. I was more curious about the reasons for the lower life expectancy. Is it lower living standards overall, more cases of certain diseases, poorer quality of healtcare?