I was having an interesting conversation with some friends on Facebook the other day, and I wanted your opinions too! If you have anything relevant to say, I would love to hear it! The question is basically this. Is the life expectancy lower for people who have taken advantage of life expectancy for any length of time? Is there any information backing this theory, or is there evidence to bring this theory down? And what do you think is the logical answer to this question?

I'll bite. I am a Canandian and I would say that our welfare system is much superior to the welfare system in the United States, so that might make a difference. I was on welfare for a few years while my children were really small, and my husband lost his job. Now, we own our own business in the organic foods field. I would sure think my life expectancy is no less for having been on life welfare all those years ago. The welfare system is there to use it when you are truly in need of it.

I have never seen any statistics on life expectancy for people on welfare, but it would not surprise me if it was less than the life expectancy for those in higher socio-economic brackets. I believe this for so many reasons, ranging from access to health care, to the quality of housing, to eating habits, to more drug and alcohol abuse in hopeless situations.