Hello, I need some info referring to resectable stage III esophageal cancer. I have been diagnosed with it last week and the doctors are strongly recommending a surgery, I guess I will have to say yes to that and I wonder what the post op period is like. Did you have chemo radiation treatment afterwards?

Well, the most important thing for now is that the surgery goes well. When we say stage III, that means that, unfortunately, cancer has spread out from the esophagus but for now, has affected only surrounding tissue. After the surgery, most probably chemo will be applied in order to eliminate any residual affected tissue left in your organism.

My husband had chemo/radiation before his esophagectomy. This lasted for 5 weeks, then 7 weeks of recovery from the chemo/radiation was followed by the surgery. The surgery was a trans-hiatal esophagectomy and was performed robotically. He developed pneumonia within 9 days of the surgery and his recovery (4 months since the surgery) has been rocky.

All studies show no benefit from post surgical radiation and chemo. Chemo and radiation BEFORE surgery is the protocol.