My mom has been diagnosed with gallbladder cancer. Stage 2b.
She presented symptoms of gallstones at the ER. The surgeon on call removed the gallbladder and, i am told, a few lymph nodes while he was in there.
She has seen the first team of specialists and they are deciding how they believe this she be approached from a curative standpoint.
I have convinced her to go and get a second opinion from another team of specialists.
At present - the cancer is believed to be localized in the lymph nodes around where the gall blader was (there are some still there) and in the tip of the liver just above the gall bladder.
I would like to talk with someone who has been thru this to find out what my mom is about to go thru from the survivors perspective.
Anyone who has been thru this - - please message me back. THANKS !

hello,
My mother was diagnosed with gall bladder/bile duct cancer on december 10, 2008. She has had surgery to remove the gall bladder, duct, 2 lobes of the liver, etc.
She deals with constant pain and has days where she does not want to see or talk to visitors. Today she saw her oncologist, for the first time... They told her that there was nothing they could tell her to help her. No chemo or radiation. A bad day for us really but she is a positve person and is looking for the good in life right now.
I hope this helps. good luck to your family.

Hello, my mother was diagnosed with gallbladder cancer in 2005. The cancer spread to one lymph node. She went through surgery to remove part of her liver that was in danger of getting cancer. Her surgery went well and she recovered fast. The surgery showed that there was no other spread of cancer besides the lymph node. After surgery she went trough six weeks of chemo and radiation. Now it is 3 years later and my mother is better than ever, this experience really changed her life and the life of our families. She gets a CT scan every 6 months and every time she is cancer free. My mom is a survivor and a very strong Mexican-American women. I hope the best to your mother.

Aubie7777 wrote:

Anyone who has been thru this - - please message me back. THANKS ![/quote How is you mom now? My mon has just been diagnosed with gallbladder cancer, and has now started treatment.

A very close friend of mine her Mom was dianosed with Stage 3 gallbladder cancer which also spread other organs. (cant remember exactly which ones) She has gone through a ton of chemo and radation and now got test back saying she is cancer free. All she has to do is finish her treatment and keep coming back every couple of months for testing. Her secret was staying positive. It has help me a ton with my battle with Stage 2c skin cancer. Hang in there.

If you could find out which organs the cancer had spread to that would be greatly appreciated. Please expand on her experience if you can. My mothers cancer had also spread but I didnt think chemo could cure the cancer. She went in to do surgery last Friday, but they didn't complete the surgery because they said the cancer had spread. All the blood tests and xrays said that they could do the surgery but when they opened her up they didn't surgically remove anything , she is now recovering from this and the doctors are going to try chemo. We are all praying and hoping for a miracle, my family, friends and mother.
Please expand on your friend's mother's experience.

My mom found out she had cancer when they went in to take out her gallbladder because of gallstones. They did not take it out. The Dr said it had spread everywhere. My mom was given 6 months to live. They said if she did chemo she might make it a yr. So She tried it. She only lived 6 months and 2 days. She passed away 2 days after my 28th birthday.
My Dr laughed because i said i wanted my glallbladder OUT! My sister had gallstones and well you know about my mom. It has been 5 1/2 yrs since my mom passed and it is still hard talking about it. We were in shock.

Hello, first of all it is so nice to get your stories. I am translating them all into Spanish for my family at the moment. We live in Michigan and looking for the best hospital to get a second opinion. We will be heading to the university of Michigan and then to a cancer center in Huston.

My granmother has stage 4 cancer, meaning it is now past the lymph nodes and is very large 2 cm in the liver and upper part of the pancreas. This was diagnosed about 1 month ago, in the ER after jaundice was diagnosed. However, she was diagnosed with gallbladder cancer about 1.5 yrs ago after pains and vomiting.

We hope the tumors can shrink a bit so she can get chemo, but even then it might not take. If it does, however, there might be a possibility for surgical removal. We are remaining positive, but so far, doctors have not been very positive. They gave her months and even with chemo, maybe a few more.

She said she was not in pain, but she is a very strong women. she is 65 yrs old and too young to leave this world.

my prayers to all of your families and those who lost loved ones. I am hoping for the best.

If anyone has had good experiences at hospitals anywhere in the country, please let me know.

The person whose Mother died of Gallbladder cancer-can talk to me if she likes-I lost my Mom to same.-Not a day goes by that I don't think of her. My Mom died in 2004. And I still can't believe she's really gone. She was a YOUNG 68-active, health concious, slim, ballroom dancer. She had a rae condition-called a porcelain gallbladder.

Mom has been diagnosed with Gall bladder cancer; the doc said they can not do the surgery because it comes back. They did a biopsy and found out that her liver has 2 spots, which are also malignant. The doctor said they will start chemo and see; I think it is a stage 3 or 4. The time span doctors gave her is months to a max 1-year time period (doc thinks 1 year is very hard). I am in Canada, just wanted to know if even chemo works or it or it just another experiment as I don’t my mom to go to the pain of chemo.

Chemo can be effective although I am going to be honest with you that being in Stage 3 or 4 of cancer is not a very good prognosis. Even if your mother went through chemotherapy, depending on her age, it might not be enough. You may want to try chemotherapy to see if it is effective then if it isn't to switch to hospice care instead. It's up to you...I wish you luck and will be thinking of you!

I just wanted to respond to this thread. My mother just died of gallbladder cancer, although I don't mean to scare anyone with that information, because I believe her treatment was botched. When she had a CAT scan of her gallbladder, her general physician told her that the prognosis was "probably cancer, but he couldn't be sure." In my opinion, he should have immediately advised her to get a surgical oncologist, but he got her a regular surgeon. When he opened her up, he found that she did indeed have cancer that had spread to two lymph nodes, which he removed. It had also spread to her liver, but it was not yet visible and he was not an oncologist, so he closed her up.

She underwent chemo, and for the person who was afraid of chemo, it was absolutely not a bad experience for her. She was in pain from the disease, but not from the chemo. I think you have nothing to lose through chemo, and her oncologist was really helpful and caring.

What I wish I had known is that the pain she was feeling could have been relieved. So everyone else will know, here is a link. I wish you all the best of luck.

For the person whose doctor laughed when you said you wanted your gallbladder out, you should find a new doctor. It's one thing for him/her to think that is overboard, but it's another thing to laugh at your concerns. What a jerk!

***edited by moderator*** web addresses not allowed

Well, I am back again.
Update on my moms situation:
After some healing time from her original gall bladder surgery was allowed for and a few visits with the oncologist, my mom was scheduled for surgery at a larger hospital where a few more lymph nodes were removed along with some surgery on her liver which the surgeon referred to as "shaving the liver"-- a section of liver along the bottom where it touches the gall bladder was removed is what happened. this was a painful surgery for mom, i think in part because she had already been thru so much and was weak from being sick and from a recent prior surgery....alot of pain meds were needed in the hopsital after this surgery and it was a very touch time for her. After some heal time from that surgery - a chemotherapy port was surgically put in back at the local hospital and she went through a little over 6 weeks of chemotherapy treatment - the particular treament was referred to as 5FU- her oncologist stated that this was a common treatment and the standard treatment for her type and stage of cancer. She handled it well and he was actually quite impressed at how well her body metabolized the 5FU chemotherapy treaments. bear in mind - she was receiving a continuous infusion of the meds via a pump that she wore on a belt all the time. After the treatments, the oncologist ran scans and could find no evidence of the cancer. An apparent success. She is, to a certain extent, still getting over the initial chemotherapy treatments....she is still not really completely back to her "old self".... I say this just to let those of you whose loved ones are dealing with this know that this may change your loved one some....it will be harder for the person to remember things that they normally remembered without thinking about, such as soemthing as simple as when the bills are due...and you know this is small potatoes when it comes to having a loved one in your life, but I am just trying to help others by saying that you should expect to see some changes in your loved one who undergoes chemotherapy treatment....
Anyway, here we are -- two years later - - and its back....
Mom was sick this past christmas holiday season with a case of viral pneumonia....her immune system was ofcourse weakened by the chemotherapy and she had a really bad case and was put in the hospital for 2 weeks until the doctor got the viral infection under control. shortly thereafter - sometime in late january she had made mention of some abdominal pain - - and mentioned this to her oncologist at her regular appointment during the first week of feb. A regular scan was being done on mom during this visit anyway to check for the cancer so the oncologist made note of her complaint and checked the scan and sure enough the cancer had returned.
there is a very small cancer tumor on the top of each of her adrenal glands. Biopsy has been performed since via lathroscopy and it is the same type cancer cells.
Oncologist has stated that the tumors are very small - 2cm - and he feels confident he can shrink them with chemotherapy and put the cancer back into remission. He is going to use a chemo treatment called FLO FOX . She will get the treatment every two weeks and will have to come into the office to get it. She will wear a pump with chemo in it after that for a day or so and then come back into the office - - this happens on a 2 week rotation. Oncologist says this is a more agressive treatment. He feels confident that since my mom metabolized the 5FU treatments so well that she will handle this treatment well.
We are staying positive, Mom is staying positive...we are praying for a remission of the cancer again.
please pray with us and feel free to offer up any experiences that you and your family and friends have had with a similar situation as I would be interested.

Hello dears,
I'm really sorry for you all which have your beloved affected by this disease and really hoping the best for them, please believe into God and pray he can help them all as he is the only one who can do that and please keep believing miracles can happen.
I'm from Algeria (north Africa), and we knew about one month ago that our mum is affected by a gallbladder cancer which has spread to her lungs, she is 60 years old and she was in a very very good health, we are now all shocked and she is suffering from high skin itching due to the disease.
The medical system is very poor in my country and the doctors cut off us every kind of hope, we are even not able to find medicines to relive her itching and medicines for chemo therapy are not existing in the country for this kind of cancer. You can't imagine how does it feel to see your mum suffering like that and being afraid from the disease to spread further without being able to do anything for her.
Please please, for you all, I will pray for your beloved to be saved. is there any one who can help us with my family to save our mum or at least to let her see a proper specialist. I would like to get a visa for her and bring her to the US as medicine is very developed there.
knowing you have experience with this cancer, I'm begging you to feel my pain and to help me, this is my mum and you all know what a mum means in every one's life.
She is avery sensitive woman and we are afraid from telling her the truth, so we still didn't inform her about her disease, which make things harder for us.
We know that we have to be strong to not weaken her, but it's very hard to look into her eyes while she ask me avery time do you think I will get healed from this? and to answer her yes mum you will! while you know she is having a cancer and the doctors can't give any cure for her in this coutry.
Here is my email adderess for any one who wnats to get in touch with me: _[removed]_

My best wishes for you all, and may God bless us all.

I just got the news that my mother has this cancer. She is also Mexican-American. This comment really gives me hope. Thank you for sharing your story.