Hi! I stepped off of a curb on July 23, 2007 and suffered a bad Lisfranc injury. I had multiple fractures. Surgery was not recommended at the time, however, I spent 14 weeks non-weight barring then another 4 weeks in a walking boot. After another CT in December, 2007, my Dr. recommended a fusion. This was scheduled for 1/8/08. He presented my case at a lecture and everyone agreed he should continue to treat this conservatively and perhaps try a "walking shoe" of some type as they did not feel the bones were strong enough to support the hardware. I was fitted with a New Balance walking shoe which had a rocker bottom applied as well as an insole made. This has not been very comfortable.
The foot is still very tender to touch on the top and the pain level does not change much with any shoes that I try. I still have some redness across the center of my foot and it is darker in color, especially when showering, as tho the blood supply is not adequate. My Dr. has said that he will probably at some point need to do the fusion.
My question is, has anyone had success with this type of an injury (this far out with still this much pain), recovering without surgical intervention, and will the healing time from the fusion be as long and involved has it has been to this point?
Thansks!!

Brenda

Hi, I have also suffered a Lisfranc injury. Mine happened in 1998. I was stepping outside and I tripped over the door frame. My 1st and 2nd metatarsals were damaged. I was misdiagnosed with a "mid foot sprain" and finally in 2001 we went for a second opinion due to my foot "sprain" not improving, in fact it was getting worse. This orthopedic surgeon saw the Lisfranc injury right away, and told us there was not much he could do due to the age of the injury. The only option was fusion, which he recommended as a last resort (one the pain gets too much to handle). I still am in quite a bit of pain, but I manage it with a brace called "BioSkin". In my opinion it is the answer for those suffering from a Lisfranc injury and are not able to have corrective surgery. If you have not had the fusion surgery yet, I highly recommend you try this brace. You can look at it online at bioskin.com. I hope this helps,
Michelle

Hi! I fell off my outside steps on July 30, 2007...right around the same time. I had dislocated all five joints by an inch and a half and had surgery that night. I had 12 weeks no walking, followed by a boot that I actually never really used (it hurt my foot)...the doctors said just to be careful and slow without it. Two weeks after I was given the okay to walk, I was moving around slowly, but could get around. Three months ago, my doctor released me from his care because he said the xrays looked excellent and he thought it was healing even better than he expected. However, my foot is still very swollen, and I am in constant pain of some degree...most of the time it is bearable. Recently though, I have had a burning stabbing pain right along those joints in my foot. Im going to call to make an appointment tomorrow. This is one hell of an injury to heal from!

I suffered from a ligament tear in my midfoot playing basketball early this year and it was misdiagnosed for ten weeks. Finally a doctor identified it as a Lisfranc Diastasis. I would like to return to an active lifestyle, but my foot prevents me from doing so. I looked up the Bioskin brace that was suggested and I didn't find anything specific to a foot injury. Which brace are you referring to? Any help you can provide would be great. I feel like I am close to being able to play sports again, but a brace might make it much easier.

In May of 2008 I was injured while out to dinner when 2 men began arguing and 2 employees knocked me over. I hit my head off a table and while I was laying there unconscious they trampled me. When I awoke, I was on my way to the hospital. The hospital misdiagnosed me with an ankle sprain although the whole top of my foot was swollen as well as my toes. I suffered through that for about 3 weeks then went to a podiatrist. He immediately diagnosed my injury as a Lisfranc Fracture. I was in a hard cast for 7 weeks then had to have surgery because it wasnt healing. I had 3 pins holding my toes onto my foot because if the skin would allow it you could have taken my toes and touched my heel with them. After the surgery I was in another hard cast for 7 weeks. After the pins were removed I was in a splint/cast for another 6 weeks and allowed to start putting weight on it after 3 weeks. My cast was removed on the 6th week and then I was put into an AirCast, which the doc said I would wear for 1-3 years or maybe for the rest of my life depending on the extent of the damage. I went to physical therapy for 6 weeks which helped me in my range of motion in my ankle but did nothing for the foot itself. I cannot stand on my toes anymore and I cannot wear anything but flat shoes. My doc says Ill never be able to run, tippy toe, wear heels, bowl or participate in any activity which requires the bending of my toes towards my ankle ever again. I have extensive nerve damage in the top of my foot, bottom of my foot and in my toes. The muscles in my foot and along my shin are damaged also. After 8 months of dealing with this, I just found out that the bone holding my toes is shifting again and I may have to have my joints fused and arthritis has already started to set in.

My advice to anyone who is going through this is do not ignore the pain, swelling and discomfort of this injury even after your doc released you from his care. A Lisfranc Fracture can have dire consequences in your future if you do not take care of it . You know your body better than anyone and when your in pain and your swollen your body is trying to tell you there is a problem. Take care of it...!!!!

HI, i've recently had a lisfranc injury, nothing compared to yours but was just wondering how your getting on now. think your post was from 2008. hope you don't think i'm being nosey.

Because of a doctor who didn't listen or misdiagnosed me, I went without surgery for nearly 10 mos.  With a different doctor, therapy, and another significant injury to the foot, I am four years down the road.  Would I have the surgery again?  Yes, but sooner!  To anyone with this injury, I'd strongly suggest that you do plenty of research and ask lots of questions before surgery is performed, if at all possible.  Make sure you know what will be required of you, and if you'll need follow up surgery to remove hardware.  Recovery is lengthy and often frustrating.