i just found this forum today. thanks to everyone for the info and support. my story is a little different than most i have seen so far. i laid down my motorcycle 6/27/08, put my right foot out as i flew forward off the bike doing around 30mph. i instantly knew that my ankle was broken badly. i have had a chronic pain disorder for most of my life, so have a very high pain tolerance because i deal with pain all day/every day. i also had a pretty sore spot on the front of my left hip and a long scrape along the left front of my full-face helmet. (thank god i was wearing it!). i was taken by ambulance to the emergency room and it was confirmed that i had a severe fracture to both bones in my lower right leg. i had bad road rash on the instep of my right foot as well, so asked them to also xray the foot. the foot xray was essentially normal except for a "tiny avulsion fracture of the cuboid". didn't give the foot a lot more thought since i had 5-6 fractures of my tibia and a complete fracture of my fibula requiring surgery the next morning with 2 plates and 15 screws to fix the damage. needless to say, i was non weight bearing for the leg fractures for about 10 weeks. during that time my foot felt tight and painful most of the time, but i attributed it to the leg fracture and swelling. i work for a family practice clinic and after about 4 weeks i asked one of the docs to look at the bottom of my foot because i couldn't see it and it seemed really tight and painful still. he discovered that there was a significant amount of pooled blood in my arch and suggested i put heat on the area to encourage the vessels to open up and let some of the trapped blood out. a god send! within 1/2 hour of applying heat to the area much of the blood pool resolved and really helped the pain. anyway, cut to the chase...i am now 7 months past the injury. i went through non weight bearing to partial weight bearing to full weight bearing with the camwalker and then without the camwalker and several months of physical therapy. throughout all of this i told my docs i work for, the physical therapist and the orthopedic surgeon that my arch and mid foot were continuing to have significant pain and i couldn't raise up on tiptoes at all due to the pain and weakness. i still have a pretty bad limp most of the time as well. was told that it was because my calf was still weak. i was anxious to get back to being active. over the past 1 1/2 years i had lost 100 lbs through diet and exercise (primarily walking) and didn't want to gain it back! i told all med professionals that i was concerned that i was doing more damage and they all said to let pain be my guide. i explained that pain is not a good guide for me because i block it out. finally in mid december (6 mos post injury) my ortho took a weight bearing xray of my foot and said i might have a lisfranc injury. i asked what to do for it and he said nothing really. maybe orthodontic (which i had already started using to help with the pain). so i assumed that was all there was to be done. i, however asked one of the docs i work for if i could take comparison xrays of both feet to see how much (if any) difference there was between the feet. it took me about a month to get this done because work was busy. i was shocked when i finally took these xrays. my right foot is already showing significant signs of arthritis and all the signs of a lisfranc injury are there. i am so upset that no one took this seriously! i now have made an appointment with a foot specialist, but cannot get in to see him for a month. i am scared to death now to walk for exercise! from what i have read here and in other research i think i will definitely discuss fusion with my dr when i see him, but wish i knew what to do in the meantime. in retrospect, there were so many signs that this injury was present and i am certain even without a confirmation by the specialist that this is definitely a lisfranc injury. sorry this is so long, but i needed to vent! i wish i had known more about this injury before now. i would have been more insistent with my doctors. i have been on the verge of tears all weekend thinking about this and i'm no wimp! i have read in some studies that fusion is not generally done until at least 1 year after the injury. does anyone know if this is the case? i would like to get something done soon, but if i have to wait until then, i could also get the hardware out of my leg then. :'(

Hello, I'll be surprised if I hear back from you since it's been so long since you posted, but I'm desperate to connect with others who had undiagnosed lisfranc injuries. I was 36 weeks pregnant when I stepped off a curb and my foot slipped in my shoe. I went undiagnosed for 4 months, have developed post traumatic arthritis, and I'm now looking for a surgeon to do a fusion. I'd love to hear if you had a fusion and what the recovery process was like and what kind of shape your foot is in now.

Yes, maam. I know exactly what you mean. I had a fall at work, back on Jan. of 2011, then my lis franc went undiagnosed. Then in March, a couple months later, found out I was 8 wks. pregnant. I was in a cast from Jan. til Apr. I finally went to see a different doc. but by me being pregnant, there was nothing that he could do, until after I had my baby. I had her in October of that year, and it ended up being Feb. of 2012, when I had my surgery. I had a mid-foot fusion, and have been diagnosed with RSD, a painful nerve disease. It is now a little over 2 yrs. I have permanent restrictions at work, so I changed job positions, and can only walk or stand for 30 minutes at the time. I have been deemed 20% permanent disabled. I am only 31 yrs. old:( I live with pain everyday, so I feel you.

I was diagnosed with a sprained foot (left) and maybe a slight avulsion fraction, but I am beginning to suspect it was a Lisfranc injury. (MRI, but not while standing)
I could not bear any weight for a couple weeks and used a cane for quite a while after that, but other than the first week or two, I did not give it the rest I should have. Plus, I fell a couple times, reinjuring my foot. (once while valiantly keeping the golf cart from rolling into the lake, the 2nd time, just because I am clumsy)
Then, 4 months later, I injured by right foot and ended up having to put all my weight on my left foot for quite a while. Now, my right foot is back to normal but my left hurts badly if I do much of any tiptoeing, or squatting. I can't wear athletic shoes so I wear sandals to the gym. And if I am on my feet much, I end up in a lot of pain.