I am Active Duty Navy, and had a severe lisfranc injury in May of 2003. My pain level four years later is 7-8, making walking almost unbearable. I don't want to use drugs like Vicodine, Oxycontine or Percacetes because of the adictive nature of the drugs.

I'm at the point now where I would be willing to try a prostetic device and voluntarily have the foot removed. Has this ever been done, and if so, what was the results. I've heard of phantom pain; but with the pain level I have now, I dont see how it could be any worse.

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** private e-mails not allowed*** Please read our Terms of Use

I too am Active Duty Navy. I fell through the attic ceiling on 7 Aug 07. I had a divergent lisfranc injury which involved an ORIF the same day. I had a cast on until 19 Nov with no weight bearing until that time. Since I have started bearing weight, my ankle and foot swell to the size of a golf ball/baseball and the skin is so tight it makes it hard to walk. I take arthritis strength tylenol for the pain. I know it will be a long recovery, but hope that I am not in as much pain as you that far down the road. This injury has all but finalized my retirement at 20 years.
I would seriously reconsider having an amputation. Perhaps some more Physical Therapy, Rehab, or Orthotics are needed. Maybe you need to see an Orthapedic Surgeon in the Civilian Sector? I really hope you can find some relief and reconsider the amputation. Unlike a haircut, your foot won't grow back.

Easter Sunday of 2000 I fell when I stepped into a foot-sized hole in my gravel driveway. Initial x-rays were inconclusive. I was put on crutches with an ace bandage wrap for a week. Severe pain after several weeks had me going to an orthopedic surgeon. He gave me cortisone injections and a walking boot for 6 weeks. No help. after 6 months of more cortisone injections, inserts and a cast...still no relief. He decided the only thing to do at that time was to fuse the 4th and 5th metatarsals to the cuboid. Had the surgery and the most excruciating recovery I have ever had from a surgery. Six months later switched doctors. At that time I was informed I had a non-union...the bones never fused. Another surgery to clean everything up and re-fuse. It is now creeping up on the 8th anniversary of this issue. I am on my third doctor and third fusion. I love my current surgeon. He and his partner informed me that more than likely my initial injury was a missed lisfranc. The last surgery I had was to re-fuse the, yet again non-union, with an external fixator. Basically an erector set on the outside of my foot hooking to the bone inside. I, too, am considering amputation. I have done physical therapy, anti-inflammatories until my stomach turned into swiss cheese and narcotics until I figured out I was addicted to them. I am only 36 years old and can't imagine dealing with this pain for the rest of my life. I have missed out on so much over the last years...didn't get to teach my kids to ride a bike, can't take them to the park that is a block from the house without driving them. I have gained 50 pounds due to not being able to be active. I have a tushy the size of Africa from just sitting in my recliner and being inactive. It's nice to know I'm not alone. Have you done any research into amputation? I would be happy to communicate via e-mail if you are interested: _[removed]_ Good luck to you!!!

I am facing amputation of the left foot due to severe pain which has been getting worse over the years. The foot has had seven surgeries and can't take anymore. I, too, do not want to become hooked on pain meds (they don't help with pain they only make you not care). My foot was crushed by my ex-husband wielding a sledge hammer and I wasn't allowed to seek medical attention. Now there is too much arthritis and fusions have locked things into place. I have started the amputation clinic program and actually look forward to having a below the knee amputation rather than the symes amputation. I'm worried my insurance is not going to provide me with the best prosthesis--I'll know this Thursday (the day after my 59th birthday). Hurray for picking out a new leg! But, if it means I can be more mobile with less pain it will be well worth it. I have a spinal cord stimulator implanted in my abdomen to reduce leg and lower back pain so I'm hoping it will be a big help. Would like to hear from other BKA's

I wrecked a motorcycle in 2000 and nearly lost my leg above the knee then. After external fixation on both my right knee (shattered the entire tibial plateau) and right navicular bone (crushed it flat) I managed to keep my leg. My knee actually works okay all things considered. But my ankle has only a couple degrees of movement and constant pain that is intense to the point of feeling like the day I broke it. Also all my toes on that foot were broken, but nothing was done for them, so they healed crooked and dont function properly.

At 36 years old, and several years down the road from my accident, I am really considering having the foot removed. The docs have suggested fusing it, but with a huge recovery time, and my other injuries (broke my back, blew my left ACL with total rebuild, the knee itself) it doesn't make sense to fuse it. Better to just whack the thing off and concentrate on all the other damage I did.

I have a never ending morphine supply, and when the pain in my foot isn't being touched by the stuff, I have to consider doing something. But I know nothing about amputations.

Plus, it's not an easy thing to come to. I fought to keep my leg to begin with, and endured years of hard core therapy when the docs all told me that I could avoid it and be up and moving much faster without my leg. At the time, my biggest fear was losing a limb- now I am considering asking my doc to recommend taking off my foot. Scary stuff.

I am also facing a BKA for sever pain following lisfrancs injury repair of two years ago. The surgeon is ready to go forward but the insurance company has denied the first request. If anyone reads this post please post or email me if you have under gone amputation after a lisfrancs repair or severe foot pain. Like the others I am tired of all the pain meds, the loss of quality of life. I just want to walk again without the pain.

I just had a lisfranc amputation after 4 years of hell and 9 surgeries on my foot, I just started to sleep at night, I can't wait to catch up on what I missed for 4 years

I have performed several midfoot amputations for this problem with very good results. The advantage over a transtibial amp is preserving length- and the ability to ambulate without a prosthesis. A custom shoe (usually a high top) can be made and people walk reasonably well. The problem is the tendency to plantar flex the remaining hindfoot. I have (so far) been successful by transferring the extensor tendons to the surviving midfoot, and knock wood people are doing fine. Not to say that it will be permanent, but a fusion or revision to a higher level can always be done later.

Can someone contact me who has had lisfranc amputation or even the below the knee amputation. I want my life back and I am willing to do whatever it takes to enjoy my life again.

Firstborn, I just had a Lisfranc amputation of the right foot in Dec 2008, contact me at Patnct(at)aol(dot)com if you need to chat

Please email me at Jennifer.Cole AT selu.edu. Anyone who has a lisfranc injury and had an amputation.... I am running out of choices right now. I am highly discouraged and want my life back.

I too have considered this as 4 years after my Lisfrank fracture and ligament injury, 8 screws, rejoining of the ligaments and rebuilding the arch and unrelenting pain that keeps me from doing ANYTHING I have had it. I take percocet every 3 hours but it doesn't do much, haven't worked in 4 years and about to lose it all. My brain screams every time I take a step. I have talked to my doctors about it but they just laugh. Please update and let me know what you decided and how you're doing now.

Wolfgirl, your husband did this to you? This just about knocked me out of my chair when I read it. I can understand why he's an EX, and I hope he's in jail. How are you doing now? did you have the BKA?

Hi everyone,

I suffered (still suffering...) a Lis Franc Fracture in 2007 and I too want to have my foot amputated to improve my quality of life. I currently take morphine and percoset 3 times a day and I am still in pain. I also am experiencing many of the same issues as you folks are. The problem I have is I have no insurance and my wife and I live on $681 a month since she is disabled too. I do not qualify for Disability either. Does anyone know of a group/organization that can help me have my foot removed and replaced with a prosthetic? (dancing dash eagle at hotmail dot com). Any help will be very much appreciated.

OK, Aargh, I am very frustrated. I am 36 year old, 18 years Active Duty in the Navy and returned home from deployment with a crushing injury to my talus and a medial maliolis chip fracture. The primary problem though was 2 OCD lesions in the ankle. Last year, in July, I had microfractures to my ankle in an attempt to promote bleeding into the OCD's, attempting to fill in the cartilidge defect. This first surgery was a fail.

10 weeks ago, I have an allograph, fresh, performed. The bone which was cut has healed well, and I have no pain there, but, I am still having significant pain in the ankle. I had a follow up today with my ortho doc and he said he was unsure as to what was going on, why I was still in pain. 4/10 pain, plus, I feel like there is something loose in my ankle now, and I am having popping in my ankle.

I so just want an amputation to get rid of a foot which is painful. He has said that he doesn't think I will run of any significance, ride a bike again or even play hockey.

How does one just tell their doc that they are tired of all the pain, don't want more surgeries to see about controlling pain, and just do a BKA?

Thanks!

Tom