My 16-year-old daughter injured her foot running into a gopher hole while playing soccer Sept 2006. Was diagnosed as sprain and she was on crutches for a week and then began putting weight on it slowly. She was on the highschool tennis team at the time and went back to playing tennis 3 weeks after the injury. Foot swelled but pain was not as severe. Went back to playing soccer 5 weeks after injury but that was much more difficult since you have to kick the ball with your foot. Went back to doctor when foot was not healing as expected and her 2nd x-ray didn't show anything out of the norm so we were referred to a Podiatrist just before Thanksgiving. He diagnosed her injury very quickly, Lisfranc, did a bone scan, an put her in a boot hoping no surgery was necessary. It's now mid-December and she is scheduled for surgery on Dec 22nd! I'm VERY concerned because she was not diagnosed quickly enough. She LOVES soccer and all the posts that I'm seeing sure sound like she is in for MONTHS of pain even after the pins are removed. Any advice on what kind of PT will help her get back on the field? Her foot hurts more and more every day and I'm also concerned that she's developed a arthritis-type problem due to it taking so long to diagnose. What are her chances of long-term healing? Last question: is it normal for a podiatrist to do the surgery? I see some posts talking about an Orthopedist.

hello there soccermom. noticed your post, you might have better luck re-posting your message in the BIG Lisfranc injury thread:

https://www.steadyhealth.com/topics/lisfranc-foot-fracture-thread-part-ii&hpr=Lisfranc_Foot_Fracture_Thread_PART_II

i am in a similar boat as your daughter...
I injured my foot late july '06 and was diagnosed by two different Dr.'s as having a bad foot sprain. like your daughter i was on crutches, a walking boot, and eventually i was able to walk again, even jog a little but with some pain. finally, after 4-5 months without my foot getting much better i went for a 3rd opinion. this ortho dr. knew right away what the injury was and told me that i had a lisfranc fracture and would need surgery. i too had concerns about having surgery after such a long time of the injury being mistreated but my dr. assured me that i had an 80% chance of a full recovery.

long story short, I just had my surgery last Thursday (12/14). they needed to use 2 screws to hold everything back in place. the operation took about 2-2.5 hours. i spent the night in the hospital (i recommend this) as i was extremely uncomfortable post op. i was however able to leave the following day. my foot is in a cast and i was told that i couldn't put any weight on it for 6 weeks. excluding the 1st 48 hours post opp I've actually had very little to no pain (which seems like a very rare thing). i go for a follow-up exam on friday where my dr. will take another set of x-rays (and maybe remove stitches?).

Please let me know if you have any questions. I will try to answer them the best i can. Good luck. it is definetely a long road to recovery but let your daughter know that she's not alone!

Hi, I also had a late diagnosis. I fell "UP" the stairs on May 5,2006 and went to the ER to be told it was a bad sprain. I knew something more was wrong so I immediately went to an Orthopedic who then sent me for a 2nd opinion. She knew it was a Lisfranc Fracture. After an MRI and a CT Scan, I was scheduled for surgery on July 9th. I had been walking on it until then...very painful, even when I was just sitting still, I had very sharp pains in my foot. I had 5 pins put in and I had a removable cast (just on the bottom of my foot and up my heel and calf, it was held on by ace bandages wrapped around it) This actually was very nice because I was able to sit on a shower seat and wash my foot and leg on a daily basis. I had the pins in for 12 weeks, non weight bearing. I was on crutches the whole time... with a 2 year old!!! Once the pins were removed I graduated to the "BOOT", very large and hard to walk in...but it did help the pain. I definetly suggest using the boot at all times do not try to put weight on your foot until a few weeks after the pins are removed. I am not going to lie...this has been a very long and painful ordeal and I still have pain in my foot and I am not able to run like I used to, this could be more of a mental thing because I just don't want to re-injury my foot. All I can say is your daughter is young (I am 33) and as long as she does what the Dr.'s say she will heal it will take some time. As far as the Ortho. or Podiatrist I don't know to much on that but it seems that now matter what their specialty they all have a different way of treating this injury. Just make sure she has good PT this is very important to a full recovery!! I wish you and your daughter the best of luck and if you have any questions or concerns please feel free to ask!!! Good luck and stay positive!! Happy New Year!

I had a lisfranc fracture 7/06. It has been 6 months now and I am just starting to walk without pain.

Whatever you do, do not go to a podiatrist. That I can say from experience. This is a very complex fracture and, although there are some, most podiatrists do not have the expertise to deal with it.

I had a podiatrist repair my foot the first time becuase of insurance issues. He apparently didn't know what he was doing and screws that he put in broke only two weeks after ambulating with them in (and thats after two months of no weight bearing).

You need to see an orthopaedic surgeon specailly trained in foot and ankle surgery. One of the best in the country is in metro Detroit if you live withing a few hours drive. His name is Arthur Manoli M.D.. I fought with my insurance for two months to be able to see him. It was only after I threatened legal action that they agreed to pay for him to do the surgery. Now 6 months after the injury and two surgeries, I am starting to walk without excruciating pain.

I hope everything works out for you.

I am in a similar situation to your daughter. Playing basketball I tore the ligament in my foot and ended up with a lisfranc diastastis. It was misdiagnosed for 10 weeks and my doctor said surgery would be a disaster at this point. Did anyone else here get surgery over 3 weeks past injury? I am curious to know because thus far, nothing can apparently be done about my foot. They put me in orthotics and MBT shoes and they're hoping the scar tissue forms in a way that I will feel minimal pain. I cannot play sports without pain at this point and I have a sinking feeling that will always be the case.

My question is, has anyone had success with a surgery on a delayed diagnosis lisfranc? So far, I haven't seen any happy endings to this cursed injury, here or in any other forum.

I had similar foot surgery performed by a podiatrist.

Although I had a long recovery I felt he did a great job. After 6 months I'm back to mostly normal activities.

Podiatrist or orthopedist, just make sure they are well trained and have experience with the surgery.

I think no matter who does the surgery, a Lisfranc's injury can be bad.

Good luck.