i was diagnose 9 weeks later for lisfranc injury can i heal without surgerey
or should i have surgrey

It depends on the severity of the injury. However, I truly believe that without my surgeries I would not be walking today. Mine was pretty bad though, I had two complete dislocations and some shattered bone that had to be removed---I was completely unable to walk after the injury--just no structure or stability. Luckily, I got to the right guy who immediately diagnosed me with lis franc and had surgery within the first few days. Speaking as a woman who's given birth without getting a tear to her eye, it was VERY painful recovery, but worth it.

Since you've been able to walk (I'm assuming) for the last 9 weeks, maybe just physical therapy will do it for you, though. Make sure you are completely informed--this maybe an injury you will have to deal with for the rest of your life. five years later, I still have chronic pain and arthritis can be frustrating. But how thankful am I that I can walk!! XD

I had surgery last week to repair my lisfranc injury. The surgery took place after 2 weeks from the actual accident. On the day of the surgery I was able to walk around normally without much of a limp and the only thing that I couldn't do was run. Because with the lisfranc injury you can't push off, cause it effects that joint. The Dr. said I might not need surgery but still had to put me under so that he could X-Ray my foot while stressing it to see how far the seperation was if it was more than 2cm he would operate if less then he would just put me in a boot. Well he had to operate and put 2 screws in. I will be on crutches for 3 weeks then hopefully a weight bearing cast for 3 more weeks then by August will be done seeing the Dr. and by October back to playing basketball.

The main reason that you want to see a Podiatrist is because it may not hurt now but 10 years from now or earlier you will have severe arthritis because the joint was damaged and never fixed. Well good luck.

Did your question get answered? Your orthopedist should be able to tell you best. How did you sustain your injury? I wouldnt worry about the length of time, My injury occured on March 25 and they just did my surgery on May 9. I had 11 screws and a plate wth bone graft and they took 6 hours to finish. THe orthopedist was very excited with the outcome, as evidenced in his post recovery room smiles and excitement. Good luck to you

Hizgrace

I got hurt in February or March of 2005. I was running and turned/twisted my left ankle almost backwards to stop a soccer ball (a motion that I used to do quite regularly). Then I fell and felt pain and aching in top of my left foot, wear the "bump" is in the midfoot on the big toe side. I kept playing soccer and dancing for 2 months. Then I was put in a CAM walker for 4 weeks. I still felt pain when I pivoted my foot (once consistent repro was when I would get out of the passenger side of a car by twisting and pushing off my left foot.) Every now and then it got so bad I couldn't walk for about 30 minutes.
I've had a bone scan, MRI, and countless xrays. The only thing I consistently hear is that it's a slight bit wider between my big toe and second toe bones in the mid foot area. I was put in a cast in September of 2005, but after a week, my pain was increasing from the immobility, so they took it off. My pain has seem to get a lot better. I stopped playing sports for about 1 year and I only sometimes ache. However, it was standing up and it all of a sudden started hurting again. It's slightly swollen. I can walk and do everything like normal (play soccer), but the dull pain is still there when my foot twists.

The latest diagnosis I've heard is lisfranc (last week, it's now September of 2007 about 2.5 years after I got hurt). I'm wondering if surgery is worth it. I'm also wondering if anyone else has had this kind of minor pain and if it was diagnosed as lisfranc. Does anyone have any recommendations on what I should do or what else it might be or other possible treatments?

Does anyone have any orthopedic referrals in the Chicago area?

Thanks!

For anyone reading this thread:
I had a lisfranc injury thirty yars ago -- didn't know what it was. Thought it was a sprain.I "recovered" OK (with a big bump on the top of my foot). Afterwards ran & biked and walked fine. Then last year, the bump started to move to the side of my foot and the arch began to collapse.

I am scheduled for surgery September 12. (My choice not to do it sooner.)The surgey will involve pins and bine grafts and I will be on crutches for at least 10 weeks and can expoect that it will take a full year to recover as much mobility as I'm going to get.

So my advice to anyone with this sort of injury is to get thee to an orthopedist experienced in foor reconstruction. You can save yourself what I'm going through. (Or at lleast minimize it.)

it has been 2 months and a half since the actual accident and i was in wait for one month and a half about what the pain was in my foot. After my accident in which a had gotten run over by a car i was told nothing was wrong after consistent pain i continued to go to Dr.'s and found out about my lis franc injury and was put in a cast for a month. Right now is my first week without a cast and i am depending on getting stronger lengthwise to continue my soccer career and chance to play in college. There are many complications in the fincancial part and health part for the recovery of my foot and my dream. If anyone can help me or let me know if my soccer career is still a possibility please let me know.. THANK YOU

On July 10th, almost three months ago I fee from about 8 feet and landed heavily on my right foot. I was taken to the hospital A&E dept by ambulance and was x-rayed. I was then told that I hadn't broken anything and to go home and rest, only come back if I'm no better in 7 days. After a week my foot was incredibly swollen and I still had no movement or couldn't bear any weight. I went back to A&E. The therapist there told me off and said it was my fault I could not move my foot as I had not tried to. She gave me crutches and told me to start putting my foot into the floor and to start weight bearing and walking. I then began physio therapy. I still can't weight bear at all and it's been almost three months. My physio therapist has finally referred me to a podiatrist. Do you think I may have a lisfranc injury? I've been reading the symptoms and I seem to be able to identify with every one. My foot is still swollen, (I'm two shoes sizes larger on my right foot) I still can't move my toes, or weight bear and it is still very painful. I am doing everything the physio tells me to do and I still can't walk.
Has anyone got any advice as to what I can expect, or has anyone else experienced this.
BTW I have had two x-rays and neither showed any fracture.

You know your body if it doesn't feel right or your therapy isn't working,get a 2nd opinion.
I had an accident 11mths ago and was in a wheelchair for 3.5mnths and because of other injuries couldn't weight bare at all. I had screws and a cast on my L foot for my Lizfranc for 3 months and am due to have the screws out in Jan 09. My orthopedic guy doesn't think the removal of the screws will get rid of all my pain and that because my ligament and tendon ruptures were so bad my arch will probably collapse and I will end up having to have the bone fused. Apparently they don't like to do this to anyone under 50 (I'm 46) because it can give you less mobility and a permanent limp(I walk like quassie motto anyhow). So I am not looking forward to the next 6mths.I had hoped to be returning to work and playing soccer by Feb, but who knows, the whole thing is very frustrating and painful. I can sympathies with all of you, until youv'e experienced this injury, no-one seems to understand how painful,walking, standing, squatting, running etc is. But for me I am lucky to be walking at all so I must be grateful for that. All the best to you all.

Hi Everyone,
It has been a LONG time since I have posted in here. I have been SUPER busy. I just had a baby 7 mo ago. My foot is doing very well, although it gets pretty sore at times. The doc is confident about his work, he is a real good one. How is everyone else in here? You can read my posts thoroughout.

Hizgrace4 all

I was very similar to you, i had other damage done to my foot in a car accident, however on the lisfranc side of things i was borderline. They decided not to operate and i was non-weight bearing for 3 months. It took me a month to walk fairly well again and i was happy for 6 months. Dancing and working as per normal. Then it started getting worse. Arthritis reared its ugly head. I had a bone fusion and 3 screws put in on Friday. The bone graft will stop that joint where the arthritis is from moving. BTW im 21 years old. So way younger than most on these forums, and it is vary rare fo anyone one of my age to have this procedure. However my doctor thinks it will help me return to my normal life. But i may get more arthritis elsewhere later on. I think that if it gets bad enough, maybe you should get a bone fusion in teh point it hurts. They can find teh spot with cortizone injections. It will pin point where the pain is coming from. MRI's picked up my arthritis.

If you have any other questions feel free to ask,

Believe it or not..I was playing cornhole on jun 27 2009 and I jumped to throw the bag and my foot hit the edge of the board(it was dark ok haha) I proceeded to fall while the foot twisted and all my weight came down on the foot. I fractured(they are in pieces) 6 bones on the top of my foot...including 2,3,4 metatarsels. After a cat scan and weight bearing xrays I was told I had a moderate lisfranc fracture/dislocation....almost 2mm(i think that is what he said) Anyway,,they decided to put me in a cast for 8 weeks with no weight bearing at all. I asked him about surgery and he said he didn't think I needed it..something about causing more damage to the blood vessels in the foot. I am hating the cast and my leg is getting smaller and the charlie horses and muscle cramps are very painful.
Every one else seems to have had surgery and I am concerned that I need it. It doesn't seem like anyone else has had this kind of injury corrected with just a cast. If there is anyone out there please let me know about your healing process. I really can't be off my feet for to much longer(I have 6 kids to take care of and school starts soon and they need me to drive them to school).
I am starting to become depressed and all my helpers(kids and hubby) are getting tired of helping and I am just as tired of asking for help.
I am wondering if you can bike ride after this kind of injury? He told me I would never run again and that I would only have 80 percent use of my foot now and that I would Know everyday that I broke and dislocated my foot. My doc also said that I would probably have bones floating around in my foot that would require surgery down the line and I could expect arthritis within 2 years. He actually said that I would be disabled from this. If it is this bad..why not surgery? I keep asking him and he says it's the blood vessels in your foot. What does that mean? Oh by the way..he is the only foot doc on my insurance..so a second opionion is impossible to get.

I would really wait until having surgery.
I had my midfoot crushed in September 07 in a car accident
was in a wheelchair for 3 months non-weight bearing
started walking in late December 07
doing very well by march 08
Started getting pain in June 08
was diagonsed with arthritis in Dec 08
Had a fusion in Feb 09
Wheelchair for 3 months
Started walking in may
And my foot is sh*t right now. Like i can't walk 100m without being in severe pain.

I am in more pain now after surgery (and another 4 months of being useless) than i was with the arthritis. So i would wait as long as you can stand before having surgery. It doesn't always have the best outcome. If you want more details on ANYTHING, don't hesitate to ask.

Good luck