A horse stepped on my left foot 10 weeks ago. She was on her hind legs at the time. Lots of weight. I went to Urgent Care and x-rays showed a suspected fracture of the 2nd metarsal. I went to a Podiatrist a few days later and he wrapped the foot and prescribed a boot and no weight bearing. He suspected a Lisfranc injury but x-rays didn't show one. Two weeks later, after subsequent x-rays and no improvement in swelling/pain I had an MRI which confirmed the metarsal fracture and indicated 2 "possible" fractures of the cuboid, along with bone edema at the 2nd and 3rd cuniform bones. Fractures were non-displaced according to my podiatrist. Healing has been very slow, and I just started weight bearing a week ago. I'm wearing running shoes and have little to no swelling, but I can't walk without limping. I have no pain when standing still and bearing weight, but I can't move with normal range of motion wihtout pain. The pain is sharp and on the outside of my foot at the cuboid, radiating across the mid-foot. I'm worried now that I have an undiagnosed Lisfranc injury. Being non-weight bearing for 9 weeks was torture. I can't imagine going back, but I don't want permanent damage either. I was a non-competitive runner before this injury and want to get back to it asap. Should I see an orthopedic surgeon at this late date? How many x-rays are normally taken to be diagnosed? My podiatrist has a "mini" x-ray machine and did two films in two different positions. Any suggestions/information you all can give me is really appreciated.

try posting on Lisfranc Foot Fracture Thread Part 2, you may get more response as that seems to be where people respond

hi. my lis franc was undiagnosed till i had an MRI. you must get help asap - got to a specialist foot doctor - in UK i went to Mr Lloyd Williams at Princes Grace Hospital, he was greatg. still in non weight bearing plaster so cant tell you if the surgery worked , but he has inspired me wiht confidence that it will

A lisfranc injury should be evaluated by an expert with a weight bearing xray which may be difficult because it's painful but it's extremely important to find out because if you wait more than 4-6 weeks you'll require a different surgery (bone graft fusion, screws, the whole 9 yrds) and you'll need to wait at least 9 mos for the injury to mature before that surgery so you need to find out immediately. Foot and Ankle Dr.'s ans well as Sports Medicine Dr.s are more familiar with this injury and can perform some other tests that give them an indication of whether or not it's a Lisfranc separation but to what degree can only be told by weight bearing xray. MRI can evaluate the damage to the tissue mostly and a bone scan is recommended to see how much of the bone is damaged. Arthritis will soon set in. I was an unfortunate misdiagnosee and had fusion 3 months ago. I'm still walking with a limp but recovering greatly 3 mos post op. If the fusion is done right the screws(3) will be with you for life but if you act quickly you may not require screws at all, just some pins that will come out... good luck. I highly recommend Dr. Glenn Pfeffer at Cedars Sinai in Los Angeles if your in the area.

Hi, my lisfranc happened Oct 2003 and was misdiagnosed as fracture only. It was a WCB claim and was not allowed to see specialist until my doctor could prove I had lisfranc, x-rays bone scan didn`t show. If not diagnosed before 6 months only fusion helps. I had fusion of first two toes and screws put in after 10 months wait. Very important to get the best orthopaedic surgeon possible. My first surgeon was through wcb the fusion did not work. I could not walk on foot much without excessive pain and it only got worst. I didn`t give up and finally over 1 year later I found and got the best surgeon to repair my first surgery. Second surgery went great and still had pain but when screws removed pain was reduced again greatly. Only an orthopaedic surgeon can tell if lisfranc injury from MRI or x-rays. Just go to a specialist to be looked after and don’t wait over 6 months because the results aren`t good. I can now walk without limping and have a lot less pain than before. Look up Dr. Mark Myerson- top specialist - wrote the book on this type of injury. So far I have no arthritis in my foot.