Hi all,

I know i've posted this twice...on an existing thread and starting this new one so i do apologise!

I wish i had found this website much much sooner than this evening! It's been fascinating to read everyone's threads and it's made me feel so much better and that i'm not alone with my bad foot!

A little about me....i'm a 27 yr old female and a little over two years ago (29/09/04) i played for a ladies rugby team here in the UK. We were training on that night when my right foot got caught in a pot hole and an 18 stone man fell on my foot. At first we just thought it was a sprained ankle, until we tried to get my rugby boot off my foot and then we realised it was a lot more serious than just a sprained ankle, especially as there was a huge lump sticking out the side of my sock!

I was taken to the local minor injuries unit, where they gave me some painkillers and took an x-ray. The initial doctor couldn't see anything wrong but said that i should go to the nearest Accident & Emergency department just to be on the safe side. Even us non-medical people in the room (myself, my Mum and boyfriend) could see something was seriously wrong in the x-ray and the bones were all over the place!

So we went down to the big hospital where i was diagnosed with a very serious injury to my Lisfranc joint complex. I was told there was a possibility i'd never be able to walk on my foot again, which filled me with complete fear.

I got into my room on the ward at just after midnight, after having a half-cast put on my leg and foot to stop it from moving.

The next morning i had about 7 or 8 doctors/consultants come to see me and my poor foot. I was told that i was going to have wires put in my foot to move the bones back to where they should be and to mend the fractures that were in there.

Surgery went well and i spent a further 5 days in hospital. I was in a plaster cast for 12 weeks completely non-weight bearing, with the wires taken out at the end of this 12 weeks. Having the wires removed, with a pair of pliers and no local anaesthetic was more painful than when i actually broke the foot!

I was then in an air-cast boot for another 12 weeks with slight weight-bearing at the start increasing to full-weight bearing towards the end of the 12 weeks.

Today i've just been in for my 2 year check-up and as i'm still getting a lot of pain in my foot the consultant wanted me to have some x-rays. I went back to see him and he told me my foot hasn't healed anywhere near as much as it should have done and he wants me to have more surgery on it to fuse the bones together.

He told me that i'd be in plaster for 4 months and non-weight bearing for a further 3 months.

I'm here tonight thinking about this, like i have done all day and to be honest i've spent most of the day in tears.

I can bear the thought of another operation and the pain but it's everything else that goes with it, like my whole life being turned upside down. I live on my own (whereas previously i had a wonderful boyfriend who drove me to work and just kept my spirits up) and so apart from people popping to see me when they can i'm literally going to be house bound for at least 7 months without being able to drive or go to work.

What a thought and it's really getting me down. :-( :'(

The consultant did say that it was up to me whether to have the second op or not but he'd recommend that i do as there's greater chance of my foot deteriorating at a faster rate than if i don't have the op. He did say that most people receover perfectly well from having a second op but there's a chance they'll do more harm than good to it.

So i have the choice now....do i have the second op or not?!

Any thoughts or suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated. I know it's only me that can make the decision at the end of the day but knowing that others have gone through it and come out the other side fine will help!!

Thanks very much,

Michelle x

Hi

I have had a Lisfranc injury too, mine happenned when I fell off a moped. My surgeon said that on a scale of 1-10, mine was a 9. It was 2 years ago now. I am in pretty good shape now, I have been advised not to run etc, but walking and cycling is fine. If you want to have a chat, you can email me at _[removed]_. I am living in London now, although I had my surgery in Australia.

Hi pal, i too have a midfoot injury amongst other things.Anyway the only real solution is fusion.

I'm 28 years old and had my LisFranc fracture 11 years ago--my doctor also said I may never walk again and I also fought that. I walk today--although I limp alot and have lots of pain. Like you, I had pins put in immediately, then they were removed about four months later, my foot deteriorated at a very quick rate and they recommended I put the pins back in--so I did and have had them. This summer makes ten years and now I have to have them removed because they are pushing into my other bones and causing more pain. I have been in tears for a while over that now. It truthfully scares me. However, I recommend putting the pins in because it may help the pain--

I understand how your life changes. Mine has been greatly affected for eleven years--I used to be very active, and now I am not. I gave up and modified my life so much. It is not an easy road and you have to find other things you enjoy. You can do it...I've had this for eleven years and still cope with it everyday. It can be lonely but do not isolate yourself. Your friends will hang in there with you...some of my closest did anyway.

Feel free to email if you have questions. And, best of luck!!

I feel badly for those of you here suffering from Lisfranc, because I know how awful it is. I had my injury ten years ago. I'm 50; prior to the injury, I was a runner and avid tennis player. The doctor did not do surgery, and for a couple of years my foot wasn't too awful, although I always had a limp after the accident.

But now I can barely walk without pain. It has changed my life; I had to give up running, even though I formerly did a marathon. I can barely walk on the treadmill.

I just can't imagine that there aren't some kinds of operations to reshape the foot, but apparently there aren't. My foot has a big lump in the middle. One surgeon told me he could shave away some of the excess bone that grew there, but it would probably grow back.

I feel like I've become a disabled person. And there don't seem to be many podiatrists who know much about Lisfranc. I guess there's nothing much to be done, other than 'do my best.' But boy, what a horrible injury it is.

How have you all coped with the life changes that came with this injury?

So here I am. After weeks of reading all of these posts, searching madly for a bit of good news, I am here sharing my lisfranc story, I mean nightmare.
I am 30 years old, live in NYC and in relatively good shape. I have played soccer since I was in 1st grade and most recently on a co-ed team for the last five years. In October I broke the sesamoid bone in my left foot and was in the roboboot for 6 weeks and three weeks ago I was diagnosed with a lisfranc injury in my right foot.
I was running and my foot must have twisted the wrong way and I heard a crunching noise and got immediately sick to my stomach. I think the adrenalin must have kicked in and I was in a lot of pain. I walked as far as I could to get a taxi and then hobbled to my ortho doctor the very next day. He had me go for a CT and MRI and called me that night to let me know that I had a lisfranc fracture and would require surgery asap.

Well so far I am two weeks post-op (I had that ORIF surgery with one k-wire and three screws put in) and I am not in any pain. I am in a hard cast and on crutches. I went back to work yesterday (everyone thinks I'm crazy) and the worst part of this entire thing is not being able to walk. I managed the pain following the surgery with percoset for about five days post-op and since then it's been ok. If I put my foot down too long it feels tingly and weird but nothing is really painful so I am happy about that. My biggest issue is not being able to walk ( I said that already but you can tell how freaking annoyed I am by it) and getting in and out of cabs/buses on crutches. Oh, and my right leg is SO small and apparently I've lost all muscle mass! Super!

Anyway, I'm trying not to get down but it seems that every hour it is a battle to stay positive. I either want to cry and quit or I think I am superwoman and that I can totally do this. I know people on here have described a great deal of physical pain, however I think mine might be more emotional/mental.

I can't believe how many people have this injury, yet how rare it is. I hope we all get better very soon and have limited complications. I worry about playing soccer again, as I honestly feel I'm too afraid to do so. I worry when I hear pple walk with limps and consider amputations. I wonder if those were very severe injuries. Has anyone had a moderate lisfranc? I wonder if anyone has charted recovery time, pain, etc in correlation to severity of lisfranc injury. It would help on blogs like this so pple know where they stand and don't get too discouraged or encouraged ya know?
When dealing with stuff like this I always remember what my mother would tell me when I was afraid of the big waves in the ocean. She would tell me that that you have to think that the wave is either going to take you down or you need to mentally prepare that you will stand your own and not get knocked down. I often think of that during times like this, especially when dealing with physical pain. We can beat it!
Anyway, best of luck to everyone.

I got my lisfranc injury when i had a bad accident wakeboarding. i didnt know what a lisfranc fracture was or even what the bones in my foot looked liked. So when i got this injury i started looking around on the net to see what it was all about. All i ended up reading was negative stories about how i would never recover to 100 percent or how i would have pain. i went in for surgery and had five screws put in . I am in my 12 week and just put a shoe on and i feel great . Iam walking fine and recovering well. I understand this is not the case for every one . When iasked my doctor about the success rate of this injury he said it was good . This is a serious injury and will take a long time to heal. But you never hear of the good stories you just hear bout the bad. It is hard to see this fracture on an xray so you need an mri this is how it gets mis diagnosed. you need a good surgeon and you need patience. dont get me wrong it has been a pain in the arse BUT there are some good stories about this fracture so if you have one stay cool and positve its not all bad

i suffered a Lisfranc injury Jan 09, initially misdiagnosed (of course) and due to the delay, subsequently went straight for fusion..of the first 3 metatarsals to the cuneiform bones. back slab plaster for 2 weeks and now just into fibreglass cast for next 4 weeks, desperately trying to avoid a mishap which would cause me to put my foot down.
everything is reasonably pain free and comfortable and i guess i wont know the full outcome for another 4 to 8 weeks, but i am optimistic that i wll be able to walk normally and resume sporting activities, with maybe the exception of continuous running..other current hassle is that i cant have foot down or dangling for more than about 1 minute without it turning purple !

I had my lisfranc injury almost 2 years ago. I fell off the side of outdoor steps about four steps up. I was correctly diagnosed immediately and had surgery only hours later. I was in a wheelchair for 4 months and then physical therapy and gradually started to walk again. The whole thing was very hard not only physically but emotionally. The original poster talked about emotions that go with it, and that is the part that you are not prepared for. The doctors tell you what to medically expect, but the injury also changes the perception you have of youself, your abilities, your self worth, and I can totally relate to feelind lonely when you are homebound and dependent. Physically speaking, 2 years post injury, I have been released from all medical care. The doctor says that my foot has healed/is healing remarkably well, but that it may never fully heal. I still have pain (some days not too bad, somedays horrible.) There was a period of two month where the pain was awful...my foot had been okay, but then suddenly got worse. The doctor was talking about fusion. However, I chose to wait it out until I absolutely couldn't function without it. One day I woke up and the severe pain was gone. My dr said that anything can happen with this kind of injury, and didn't have an explanation for it, but I am glad I waited. I still have pain, but it is not severe. My foot functions at about 60 percent as compared to my other foot. My advice would be just to listen to your bod--listen to your foot...haha. And I know its lonely and emotionally hard, I still struggle with it every day.

My heart really goes out to all of you who have had this problem because it's not something that I have heard of before. I'm sorry to hear that you're all dealing with it but I'm glad that you're able to stay positive and keep a good sense of humor. That's ultimately the best thing that you can do when you have a problem like this. Does anyone else have any issues like this? Keep us posted.

Hi everyone, I just found this site and am very happy I did. I really thought I was totally alone in this situation. A little bit about my injury. In may of 08 I was playing with my children, running around with them etc. Well stupid me, didnt have my sneakers tied properly and when I was running after them my foot twisted in the shoe. The crunching sound was awful and at 1st i thought I just sprained something, untill I tried to stand up. The pain I felt was unbelievable!!! My children had to run back to the house to get my wife and step-daughter to carry me back to the house. I was still in denial that anything was broken untill we removed my sneaker. My entire foot was blown up larger then a overfilled water baloon. We had to call my dad, as we didnt have a car at the time, to take me to the hospital. Six hours and several xrays and Doctor exams I was told it was a severe sprain. Now I am a paramedic and knew there was no way a sprain would cause this much pain and swelling, no matter how "severe" it was. I insisted there was something else wrong and demanded they bring a podiatric surgeon in to look at it. He immediately said that I had compartment syndrome, a condition where blood rushes in to the injury and swells it to the point that it cannot leave. So basicly more and more blood gets pumped in to the injured area but no blood is leaving. This is a VERY VERY serious condition that can cause necrosis (death) of the affected area, and he booked an OR to incise the injury and allow the pressure to subside. When I awoke from the surgery I was informed that I had a moderate Lisfranc FX and would need annother surgery to repair it. 4 days later I had the second surgery and 2 screws and 1 pin was placed to stabilize the joint. Well after much healing and time the pin was removed and I was sent to Physcial therapy. Six months later and much pain I used up all my alloted therapy sessions. If I wanted to continue it would cost me 80bucks three times a week. Well there was no way I could afford this and felt therapy wasnt helping anymore anyway. I still was unable to return to my job as a Paramedic and was becoming more and more depressed by the day. Finally 2 weeks ago my wife contacted my foot surgeon and told him i was still having alot of pain. He wanted to see me immediately, so last week I goto his office. He did his exam and informed me one screw had to come out as it was moving too much and grinding the bone, besides the fact that it was visable thru the skin and very painfull to the touch.

Today was my 3rd surgery related to this injury and the one screw has been removed. I am back in the Cam Walker boot again and have to goto more threrapy. I am even more depressed now after reading other posts on how people have had screws removed only to have MORE pain. I am starting to wonder if i will ever be able to return to my job on an ambulance.

I apoligize for rambling on and on but I needed to get it off my chest. My wife, although I love her more then any thing, just cant understand my pessimistic attitude. I have tried explaining it to her several times but she still doesnt get it. Well my email is _[removed]_ if any one wants to talk about this injury more. G/L to all that are going thru what I am and I hope you have better luck then I have had up to now.

Bob

my daughter had a lisfranc dislocation and break to her foot 1st and 2nd mets..in jan 2008..wasnt picked up straight away infact after an xray they told her the best thing was to walk on it!! She was 15 at the time. After about a week of agonising pain for her her foot went a lovely shade of black. Back to the hospital we went ..after another 3 weeks of cat scans etc they found what she had done...she had surgery to screw back into position, non weight bearing for 3 months which she spent in a wheelchair as she has shoulders that pop out of their joints quit easily (extreme hypermobility), She had metal work removed six months later..but from then on she has been in so much pain increasing as the months go by. A new MRI in dec 2008 revealed arthiritus and spurs developing. Ok now they reccommended a target injection in feb 09 ..this gave her 2 days of pain free walking (she was so happy while it lasted).
Now she has surgery awaiting in October to fuse 1st and 2nd met and she cant wait. She has read alot about the fusion etc and is under no illusion that it is a quick fix..but her aim is to go dancing on her 18th birthday april 2010 even if it is on crutches.

Don't ever apologize for rambling on this thread, anyone, if you're ever concerned about that. In this thread, it's a place for you to open up and vent your frustrations! Don't ever apologize for needing to do something like that. THis is supposed to be a forum to help you out. Talk away, and keep telling us your stories. I think it's helpful to hear and share. And I for one appreciate your tales.

Hi Cchelle, I am a victim of s vicious Lisfranc injury as well and I am curious to find out if you have ever thought about or have had the joint fused?  I am contemplating this option now as I am suffering greatly with this injury.  I can hardly walk and I am in pain with every step, not to mention throughout my whole body (my injury was from a car accident).  I am 13 months post-injury and I am nervous about fusion but also curious....Let me know.  I hope you have found a solution....

I see that you had your fusion a while back and I am wondering if it was successful? I am considering fusion (had ORIF 13 months ago) as I can barely walk or even lay down without swelling or pain....I am very scared and hate that this has happened to me. I just wonder if i should live with this pain and debilitating, and degenerative problem or try the fusion. I have heard that after fusion other bones in the foot take the brunt for the fused joint and they can then become problematic....Just wondering if you have experienced this as well. Thank you so much for any help.