I put this story in another thread, but I wanted to create my own, because I don't know if someone has had this bad of a Lisfranc injury, or the type of surgery that I've had. I seriously wonder if I will ever walk again, much less ever be able to put something on my foot again. I am 55 years old.

In my line of work, sometimes I have to climb up on the roofs of buildings to install, and maintain communications antennas. On July 22, this was my first time on the roof of this building.There were two different levels of the roof, one was about 4 feet lower than the other. On both levels, there was white highly reflective cover, when in combination of a bright sunny day, made it real hard for me to see. I needed to get down to the lower level, but the conditions made it very difficult to properly judge how far down the lower level was. In short, I stepped off the ledge thinking it was about 1 1/2 feet instead of 4.

I came down on my right foot, and although I had felt sharper, more intense pain from banging my shin or stubbing my toe, this was a type of pain that I never felt before. My co-worker (not knowing how bad I was hurt, and admittedly, neither did I) helped me to my feet, and I'm hobbling around on it, waiting for the pain to subside, thinking it's nothing but a bad sprain and such. I limped back to the side of the building, and climbed back down a 30 foot ladder, hobbled about 50 feel to my truck, and drove 70 miles back home. But I'm noticing a searing pain each time I pressed on the accelerator or the brake. (Thank God I didn't have to slam on the brake) I called the wife and told her that was going to the ER before I came home. As luck would have it, the hospital's ER was a construction zone. So I had to drive around and hobble through the main entrance. I just fell in through the front doors, the pain was excruciating. Someone helped me into a wheelchair and rolled me to the ER, where they took X-rays. They found the 2nd metatarsal fractured, but they suspected more damage and referred me to an ortho-surgeon the following day. They sent me home in a boot, with no compression bandage to keep down the swelling.

Since I was injured on the job, I had to jump through the Workman's Comp hoops, and it took me two days to get to see an ortho. They told me to get a CT scan and bring both the films and the radiologist's report right back. Curiosity got the the better of me and I read it while my wife was driving me back to the doctor.

I almost had to roll down the window and throw up.

It said I had a "Divergent Lisfranc fracture-dislocation". The base of my 2nd metatarsal (the longest bone of the arch, or mid-foot) was "comminuted", meaning shattered into many pieces. In addition, there were "avulsion fractures" of the cuneiform and cuboid bones, meaning that ligaments have torn away, taking pieces of bone with them.

The first ortho (referred by my Workman's Comp) didn't cheer me up. He was holding up a foot model and showing me where he was going to "fire a pin" here, and "fire a pin" there, in order to stablize the foot. But he says, "I want you to be aware that you're going to have a bad foot regardless. You're probably are going to feel pain from here on out. How much, will remain to be determined. But this is a very serious injury, a very high energy type of injury that I see from auto-accident victims, parachute jumpers, falling thru ceilings, etc. Don't rule out the possibilty that you'll walk with a limp after I've done all I can do. If the pain gets too unbearable, I might have to do a bone fusion. But right now, I have to get in there and try to reduce the amount of arthritis that will set in." But he says, "it will be a couple of weeks before I can operate until the swelling comes down." But they sent me home without my foot wrapped, and didn't tell me to put my foot up or anything.

Well, something didn't feel right about this ortho, so I called a family friend who is a physician and explained what this ortho wanted to do. He investigated and came back and said that for my injury, I needed a foot and ankle specialist, not someone who just 'dabbles' in it, while doing knee reconstructions and shoulder replacements.

He referred me to a foot/ankle doc who he said specializes in Lisfranc injuries. I got an appointment with him on the day two weeks after the injury. He said he needed a new CT scan because the previous one ordered by the original doc didn't have the all the views, but that he couldn't do surgery anyway because my foot was swollen up like a balloon. He sent me home and told me to come back a week later, and this time they finally wrapped my foot up and told me to keep my foot higher than my heart, and ice it down to bring down the swelling. I go back a week later, and he saw that the swelling had come down enough for him to do surgery the following week.

So, 4 weeks after the injury, I undergo surgery. He put in a plate with 4 screws to line back up the 1st metatarsal. He found the base of the 2nd metatarsal blown into little 'chicklets'. He extracts them all and mixes them together with 2 bone grafts that he takes out of my heel, and packs it into the area where the 2nd metatarsal base used to be. He installs a second plate with 5 more screws, and along with 3 more long screws laterally to create a "scaffold" for the new bone to grow. He then fused the entire Lisfranc joint between the 2 plates. Thank God they put a nerve block behind my knee!

I went back last Thursday (two weeks post-op) to get that splint off and the stitches removed. That's when he showed me those post-op medieval looking x-rays. Most of the pain, except for pretty bad twinging, has gone away, but I still need Vicodin to sleep. They put on a new fiberglass cast, and told me to keep my foot up in air for the next 4 weeks. Whenever I have to get up and hobble to the bathroom on my crutches, or go out to the kitchen to get a drink of water, my foot instantly inflates like a balloon like someone's using a bicycle pump, and turns deep purple. I'll feel a lot better mentally when it stops doing that.

I'll keep posting as it seems from reading others' stories, that this is going to be one long journey.

Hi Marcus, thanks for sharing your story :-)

All the best for your recovery and keep us posted :-D

I think what else I find horrifying, is reading other people's stories and the difficulty they are having long term.

What especially horrifies me, is that these most stories are talking about injuries less severe than mine, and surgical repairs that are much less complicated than mine. People are actually considering amputations to relieve the pain???

Dear God!

:'(

Hi again Marcus,

I know its easy for me to say sitting here but please try not to worry yourself.

Don't believe you'll have an amputation, keep telling yourself 'I will recover', 'I will walk again'.

Can I ask are you religious? My prayers are with you anyway, my friend. I believe you will be healed.

Hi Marcus,

I know these things take a lot more time, but how are you? And how are you coping?

Much better. I was in a surgical splint for two weeks after the surgery. Came in to have the stitches taken out, then put back into a non-weight bearing fiberglass cast for 4 weeks. Then 3 weeks ago, came back in, took x-rays. Doc verified that none of the screws or plates had loosened. Then they put me back into weight-bearing fiberglass cast. I'm actually hobbling around on it with a cane, with most of the pain back toward the heel from the bone graft.

I go back in this week to have x-rays done putting equal amound of weight on both feet. I will be anxious to hear if new bone is growing on the scaffold. He said he couldn't see any the last time I went in.

Mentally, I'm in a better frame of mind. The month before, and month after the surgery, I wouln't wish on anyone. But I still have along way to go, and my injury was in July.

Hi again Marcus,

Its really good to hear from you again and even more so to hear that your coping better now :-)

It sounds like you are making some good progress. Again all the best for the rest of your recovery and keep us posted :-D

had the same injury last year,love to hear your update ,sue

Yeh would be nice to hear from you again, Marcus. Any updates on your recovery?

I had my Lisfranc injury back in 04. I was playing football for a team in the British American Football League. Long story short about how I got hurt. On the KO I was engaged in a block when the instant we collided the player stepped on my left foot, at that moment I was hit from my left side. The motion from being stepped on and hit all at the same time caused my foot to twist and explode in my cleat. I threw myself to the ground in a pain so horrible that I was screaming my head off. I didn't care anything about the fans being able to hear me! I don't know how anyone who said they were hurt really bad were able to walk after being hurt. I raised my leg up to see my foot and what I saw caused me to scream even louder! The top part of my foot was litteraly bent and pointing to the right. There was no moving my toes. The paramedics finally made it to me and they got on their radio and told the ER Doc that I had broken my ankle. i shouted that I had dislocated my foot cuz I knew the pain from dislocating fingers. They instantly put me on the gas and i don't know how many of those cannisters I sucked down that night lol. They were told not to give me any morphine cuz I may need instant surgery. They were told to take my mid high top shoe off! Every time the paramedic even touched my shoe string I screamed. It took around 15-20 mins of easing the string loose and a cannister of gas to get the shoe off. When the shoe popped off there was even a little comfort. The paramedics gasped tho when they saw how fast and big my foot was swelling to. There was no way i was letting them touch the sock but, it was kinda holding the foot together. After a butt load more gas and easing effort they got one of those air casts on which brought relief. If not for the gas i don't know what I would have done but, even with the gas I wanted someone to puch me in the face and knock me out. After 30 mins or so I was finally loaded in the ambulance and every bounce was incredible pain. Upon arriving at the hospital the gas was finally taking hold and having effect, so much that i was trying to pass it around to help everyone feel better lol. The Docs got me X-rayed from the gurney and i can vaguely remember them alllll standing around scratching their heads and asking each other how they were going to fix my foot. They showed me and my wife the X-rays and it looked like every bone in my foot was displaced and some were clearly fractured, and not even talking about the ligament damage. After more gas and finally morphine they decided the best thing short term to improve blood flow and such was to reduce my foot the best they could right there on the gurney!! I NEVER hurt so bad. I thought the injury itself was bad, but that was bad!! I think I finally passed out for awhile...thankfully. Before all that the Docs told that in all their years they had never seen a Lisfranc injury that bad. That scared me. Of all they saw in the UK they said none was that severe and there would be a lot of discussion as to what would be best. They wanted to operate the next morning...Sunday...but the next morning the Doc told me they wanted to wait till the next Morning to do the op. I do remember the big knuckle bone at the base of my toe nearly protruding through my foot. The Doc said there was almost enough strain and stress on that bone to send it through my skin! Even today that bone gives me constant pain. They finally did the op on Monday morning. They used K Wires but for some idiotic reason they decided that would be enough to stabilize my foot! I was in the hospital a week before the swelling went down just enough to put a cast on. They wanted to wait even longer, possibly another week but, I raised enough stink that they finally put a cast on so i could go home. I lived almost an hr from the hospital so I didn't have a lot of visitors, and when they came they couldn't stay long, so that got me down a bit. I was given all my pain meds..and i don't remember what they were at that time, and inflammatories and sent home to recover. I was no weight bearing for almost 5 months!! That was a b***h!. here in the UK 99% of all houses are at least 2 stories, and our bathroom and bedroom is upstairs!!! I developed a blood clot in my leg so that set me back a few weeks while that was dealt with. I thought i was headed back to the hospital. I had to go in everyday for a week to get the injection of Warfarin in my stomach, plus I had to take the tablets. So that meant having to go outside. I finally got the cast off, and after a couple of weeks I was sent to Physio. Once again...horrendous pain!!! I lasted 2 weeks....barely. I ended up with, and still have, Complex Regional Pain Syndrome. Jut tapping the top of my foot brings severe pain. After a couple of months I was sent to a Pain Specialist who diagnosed the CRPS and he put me on Oxycontin and Pregabalin. Started out with low doses of course, but that sh*t is crazy. I had Doc appointments once a month to keep an eye on things but things weren't getting better, it was the opposite. Around a year later I was back in the hospital getting my first bone fusion. After all the hardware was put in, it was another 5 months of no weight bearing...DAMN! Pain..no better..more Oxy and Pregabalin. I get the cast off and get in a boot and I use that another 2 months. I still can't have physio and I see my Docs every month as usual. Things start going south again and I end up seeing another Ortho and he decides I need more fusions!!! You guessed it...another half a year of no weight bearing. The pain never gets better. My drug doses always being upped as well. I end up having some nerve block injections that involve tourniquets! 6 injections straight into me foot...5 differnt times! No joy still! My Oxy doses are up to over 150mgs twice a day and 300 mgs of Pregabalin twice a day. I'm finally taken off the Oxy and then put on Zomorph...but that is 260mgs twice a day and the Pregabalin is still the same! I still have severe swelling after all these years, and the CRPS. I have a bad limp and have had it since i was able to walk again and will always have it. My arch, and big toe hurts constantly apart from the CRPS. I was told a year ago that I need more fusions, but the Doc said I could put it off as long as I could stand it cuz that's just a lot more time and more agony in a cast and off my feet. I used to be a fit athlete. While I still lift some and I still have a build, I now have a bit of tummy to go with it! I've not been able to work since the injury, and never will. Thank F for the medical coverage here in the UK. My quality of life may be low but, I have read other threads where people have gotten and are wanting amputations cuz of the Lisfranc injury. Even tho mI can't sleep well, I can't even have covers touchin my big toe cuz of pain in it, and i can't do much of anythin cuz of pain and the pain meds I will never ever have my foot cut off unless I have to. It's mine. Right now as i sit here and type this and my foot isn't elevated it's swelling and throbbing....over 7 yrs after the initial injury. I just wanted to share that story.
Cheers

I too had a lisfranc injury from a car accident. I have no idea how it happened I was knocked out. It is now about 5 years after my lisfranc joint has been fused. I still feel pain every day and walk with a limp. I went back to my doctor today for extreme pain at times in my foot. I found out that all the joints around my fusion are wearing out from walking. when you have your foot fused it seems like it creates more problems. I had no choice my foot was fusing it self so the doctor tried to help my pain by fusing it but now i could be looking at another surgery to fuse the joints around the lisfranc joint because that is the only way to lessen the pain for a while. I guess each of us have to decide what is best for us,. not sure I want another fusion in my foot. but with the bone spurs in the surrounding joints and the ball of my foot hurting like crazy i may have no choice. It is very hard to find shoes that fit. Most do not,. I do work on my feet but finding another job where I can sit to work is almost impossible where I live. Just not sure what I should do , the doc told me to let the pain decide where I go and what I have done,

If you are still plugged into this website Marcus, I would really like to hear about your progress. I likewise had a very severe injury and want to know how others are progressing. I also had a bad Lisfranc, 3 comminuted fractures of 2,3,&4, as well as a cuboid fx... Im pretty good after failed ORIF and am 6 months post fusion. My injury was 1/26/11. When was yours? I am always hoping to hear good stories instead of all horror stories, but this is a horror!

OMG that is a terrible story. I have a very sensitive area on top of my foot now too...wonder if I am developing the CRPS! Thats all I need!!

I had my Lisfranc fracture on 06/04/11. I lost my footing on loose dirt on a small hill and my knee rotated in which caused my foot to turn under me. I was sitting on it until I stopped. When I was trying to get straightened out I hear 3 pops from my foot. The only pain I had then was severe pain in my big toe. Walking on it was pretty rough the first couple of days. I went to my GP and he said it's strained so keep it up. No x-rays were taken. Swelling and brusing continued so I made an appt. with an Orthopedist. For 3 weeks I had been walking in flip flops because my foot was so swollen. As long as I walked flat footed I was ok, but any twist to the foot and it hurt pretty bad. Dr. could not believe I was walking on it, and in flip flops! He put me in a boot that had air pockets in it to inflate and help the swelliing in the foot go down enough for surgery. He felt fusion was the best way to deal with my injury. I was 54 at the time and he said if it was fused arthritis would not occur there because there would not be any movement in the joints. I broke the first 3 metatarsals at the joint, the third one shattered into small pieces he said he had to remove from my foot duing surgery. I have I think 4 large screws kind of in a star pattern holding the 1st and 2nd bones in place at the joint. The third shattered bone had a plate with 6 screws and some material from the bone bank was used with the 3rd fracture. I had a cast for 7 weeks after surgery, non weight bearing. Then 6 weeks with the boot again. I have extremely high arches and have had plantar faciitis problems for years. Once orthotics were made for me that pain has been under control. Coming out of the boot was very painful and I couldn't walk very well at first because the facia was stiff from being in one position for so long. Once I got that stretched out it was okay. I can say I have had very little discomfort from the fusion with the plate, but I do have discomfort where the first 2 were fused. It has improved over time, but I still have some pain almost 2 years later. A bump has risen over the area of the screws and when I twist my foot I get pain at the site and a nerve like pain that goes into my arch. I have had my last visit with the Ortho doc. He looked at the last x-rays and says the fusion has completely fused and from my description of my pain and the area, he thinks one screw may be working it's way out. I'm waiting for the pain to get a lot worse before I mess with that area again. I can walk without any problem, no limp. The foot does still swell if I'm on it for a long time or if I'm standing on a hard surface. I wish the best to all of you having problems with your fracture and/or surgery. From reading the various posts I can't help but feel the doc you have makes a huge difference in your recovery. Of course the severity of your injury plays a big part in recovery and post-recovery. Good luck to everyone. As you can tell by this site there are many of us that have endured this fracture. You are not alone.

Hi there, I hear you!!!! I got hit by a drink driver (3 times over the limit) whilst driving my 12 week old baby home and pregnant friend in front seat last May 2012. He literally drove at me at 50 miles an hour, I did an emergency stop and he took away the whole front of my car. I pulled my leg out and managed to get my baby out of back seat. I thought at this point Id broken my leg, as the pain was severe to say the least. When i looked dow i could see the bone in the midsection of my foot sticking out. Anyway they took me in an ambulance and i had some morphine, but when i arrived at the hospital they seemed to forget about me, by the time i got to xray my foot like you say had swelled to a massive size. The pain was terrible but as i was feeding my baby i couldn't have too many pain killers. I ended up in hospital for 17 days, with foot elevated for 15 waiting for the surgery . I had a lis franc fracture and broke and dislocated every toe bone. I had 3 pins put in during the 5 hours of corrective surgery, 4 MONTHS in plaster cast and then the pins removed under a local anesthetic as i couldn't bare to go through another general and be kept in hospital. So now its nearly a year post accident. I have all metal work removed, i live with the pain which sadly is constant, but manageable. Im 31 and a mum to 2 boys under the age of 3. Life is a challenge but i love being off my crutches and being able to carry my own baby and move again! I have physio and find swimming really helps. have you tried swimming? Im due acupuncture too soon to help with the pain. Ive also got a medial arch support...