Has anyone ever had bone spurs removed following some time after having a lisfranc dislocation? I had a 5 metatarsal dislocation in 2001 and am having some irritation and spurring on the dorsal surface of my foot. This sadly is most troublesome on the lateral side. I was thinking of having the spurs removed so that I would maintain as much mobility in the joint with the hopes that it would slow arthritis and perhaps a future 1-3 met fusion. I am not sure what to do about the lateral side as that is the most irritating and requires the most mobility. I had 3 screws and 2 pins place but had them removed 6 months after the dislocation. Any input greatly appreciated...

thanks

Hi hundredwaters, I'm sorry that you didn't get a reply to your post but I do know that my friend's cousin actually had a lisfranc dislocation with bone spurs and she had a pretty hard time with it and she was in a great deal of pain because of it. It's been at least two months so I'm wondering if you've already figured out what you're going to do about it? How are you feeling now? I'm asking only because I'm curious since I don't even know what my friend's cousin ended up doing.

thanks for your reply healthnfitnessguy - no real progress at this point, although i am on several treatments for osteoarthritis. i am cautious about getting bone spurs removed as i want to avoid creating any futher problems as often the podiatrists i talk with dissuade patients from surgery. i think this is doe to scarring, potential nerve injury, etc.... if you find out anything else about your friend's cousin please let me know. is she young? how did she get injured?

Yeah, she's actually only 17. If I remember correctly (and I may be mistaken about this so please forgive me) but she was going to her junior prom and took a spill in her high heels! SHe still went to the dance thinking that she was okay and it took us awhile to figure out what happened to her because she was reporting foot problems but her GP misdiagnosed her. Yeah, and bone spurs can be a pain to remove but I feel they're worth it because of all the pain they can cause otherwise. Good luck to you, okay? :) Keep me posted!

Hi hundredwaters! It's been about a month--how have you been doing? I'd like to know how you've been recovering since your story touched me. Let me know how you're doing, okay?