I had the problems that bring me to my doctor. After some examinations, he diagnosed me with pedunculated polyps in my colon. He recommended me to do colonoscopic treatment and remove them. He said that resected polyp must be completely examined pathologically, so now I am worried. Could it be normal, can you tell me more about treatment for pedunculated polyp?

Patients undergoing colonoscopic treatment of colonic polyps first require mechanical bowel preparation. Most colonic polyps can be removed via the colonoscope using electrocautery techniques, I cannot tell you exactly what your doctor decided to have. Surgical removal is indicated only when an experienced endoscopist cannot remove pedunculated polyp safely. While total excision of the polyp is desirable, small polyps can be treated by biopsy and fulguration. Those small pedunculated polyps less than a 0.1% incidence of malignancy, while most pedunculated polyps are amenable to electrocautery snare polypectomy. That is true that resected polyp should be completely examined pathologically. Colonoscopic removal is definitively recommended therapy for benign adenomatous and pedunculated polyps or in patients having polyps with carcinoma in situ. If pedunculated polyps contain invasive carcinoma, colonoscopic removal is adequate treatment in the uniform presence of favorable prognostic indicators. A follow-up examination within three months is mandatory to confirm the presence or absence of residual or recurrent disease of your pedunculated polyp. Any patient with lesions not meeting these criteria should undergo elective resection.