The Congdon Recipe

Like Thomas who created “the Thomas recipe” I am not a doctor. Just an ex opiate junkie who kicked the habit at home in the comfort of my own bed with very little discomfort and at least 5 hours a sleep even when the withdrawal was peaking. I think Opiates withdrawal has a lot to do with Free Radicals.

For the Congdon recipe your going to need:

1. Some sort of anti-anxiety benzo. (Valium, Xanax, Klonopin) I recommend Klonopin because of the long half life.

Remember if you can’t get a hold of a prescription benzo I have heard of people using all natural anti-anxiety remedies or even an antihistamine such as benadryl.

2. If you can get a hold of some Clonodine it will make your life a lot better. If not, again you can get something over the counter or natural to lower your blood pressure.

3. Loperamide (Imodium) you can get this at any drug or grocery store. It will work wonders for the out of control bowel movements and stomach cramps

4. An over the counter pain reliever for your minor aches and pains. I used Aspirin and felt like it brought the pain from unbearable to bearable for a good 4 hours. If for whatever reason you can’t take that (allergies, liver problems, ect.) take Ibuprofen or Tylenol. Just don’t turn to opiates!

5. A good multi-vitamin from your local store that covers all your basic needs. I recommend “Centrum” which can be purchased cheaply at your local Wal-Mart.

6. 5 Hour Energy shots or a b-complex supplement. This is used to get your energy levels up around day 5 and 6 especially. At that point you will start to feel better but still battle with lack of energy.

7. Protandim – This is a one of a kind supplement that specifically attacks free radicals. Check it out ***edited by moderator*** web addresses not allowed I believe so whole heartedly that taking this sped up the duration of my withdrawals by at least 50%. If you have ever been there you realize that can make all the difference. I actually got so excited about it I signed up to sell it for them. Mainly to help Opiate addicts because for whatever reason it just works. If you want to give this route a try simply go to the above website, click enroll and than become a preferred customer. Not Going to lie, I get 30 cents everytime a bottle sells. My motivation is strictly your sobriety folks!

How to use this recipe: I recommend dosing your last dose of your OOC (opiate of choice) the night prior to starting this self-detox.
Day 1. Take your multivitamin, protandim, Benzo (or substitute) and clonodine if you can. These should get you through day 1 and day 2.

Day 3. Continue with your multivitamin and protandim.You might have to add some extra anxiety medicine and clonodine because your withdrawal symptoms are probably peaking at this point! This is the hardest part just ride it out! Its all downhill now!

Day 4. You might be feeling a little better than day 3 but worst case scenario day 5 gets easier for some reason.

Day 5. Chances are you are feeling somewhat “normal” now. Continue taking your multivitamin and protandim and your other comfort meds as needed. A b-complex vitamin or a 5 hour energy shot will do you wonders if you take it in the morning.

Day 6. Keep taking meds as needed until you feel better. This sounds easy written out but in reality it takes a lot of out of a person to be victorious in these circumstances. Just hang in there because It can be done and it can be virtually painless if you follow this guide!

Good luck everyone! –Chris

2 herbal remedies I would reccommmend for ANY withdrawl(mine was cigs/nicotine)

Tyrosine(amino acid)
American Scullcap

Either one ins like 6.99-8.99 ***edited by moderator*** web addresses not allowed

Thank you chris, I needed to hear that it gets better..I'm on day 2 of cold turkey and it couldn't get any worse, you know the feeling. What I'm trying is theraflu and antihistamine during the day and nyquil before bed. They all help, oh and icy hot for the neck and shoulder tension, it really helps and the smell of it does something good for my brain I've noticed! Haha I have to say congrats on being clean for so long, I hope to get there one day too. Thanks for your support :)

This was very helpful to me. I got sick and was using & escalating for years. I decided it was time to get back in control so I researched & found your post. It was an answer to my prayers, thank you.

Thank you, I am going to try this. Just took my last opiate and am ready to start a new life. I have almost everything that you recommended. The rest, I will just have to wing it. Thanks again. Wish me luck. Not looking forward to tonight, tho.

ive ben on mmt for 7yrs went down to 75mgs then in 1 week dropped to 30 and havent had anything for 3weeks!thank god for clonidine or id never have made it!klonipin as well but stll very sick!! its way worse for women to detox and i:m overweght methadone stores in fat cells so if like me prepare for weeks of rls and deadly deprestion! and drink tons of water or herbal tea it really works!best of luck to ya all!!

Good info! I agree to a certain extent on benzos..but they vary greatly in effects from person to person. Adivan (lorazepam) seems to be the most mild w the longest half life to me. Xanax and klonopin definitely allow for easier rest..but both seem to boost my depression Assoc. w the withdrawals x10 the next day. This may sound horrible/irresponsible..but aderall in 10 or 20mg doses blows me right through the first three days w little mal effect after the third. Flexeril also send to help w dt related restlessness that comes w the first few nights. I've experimented w enough substances over the last 13 years...opioids got me full on two years ago and showed me what real addiction is.
In relation..i saw it mentioned on anothrr thread...but someone suggested dosing w dextromethorphan for withdrawals. That stuff was created in mind of finding a non addictive opioid replacement..but WATCH DOSAGE! It is a very weight sensitive kg/mg substance

(above)
and a little too much will bend reality in an unpleasant way for 2 days then a lingering week of fog. You probably wouldn't even realize you were coming down...but to no avail as the combined ingredients of the dxm and other cold medicines together will make you even sicker.

Back to the Benzos. Be careful. Methadone and xanax i know of for sure cause some kind of pulmonary adema leading to asphyxiation from blood and other fluid....again, THIS MIXTURE OF DRUGS HAS VERY ADVERSE REACTION FROM PERSON TO PERSON. Please don't ever assume what works for another will work out for you too.

I gotta say, anyone reading this will probably think the adderall suggestion to be improper, and this isn't exactly the website to be advocating this (there are plenty others that will, steadyhealth seems very abstinence oriented), but the amphetamine salts seem to make the abstinence syndrome completely disappear for the duration of the pharmacological action (18-24) hours. With a low dose benzo at night, I felt absolutely fine, like I had taken an opie, but with more energy. Food for thought.

You are now the 3rd person that has mentioned stimulants like adderall and meth to help with opiate withdrawal. It does sound a little crazy but evidently it has worked for some. Anything is worth a try I guess. Thanks for your post.

Be very careful using benzos (xanax, valium) and amps (adderall) to detox. These are very addictive substances, and detox from benzos can be deadly. I took dilaudids for 6wks for kidney stones, n I have been going thru hmm...well, hell. Not as bad as some, but I already have anxiety problems (PTSD and agoraphobia, panic attacks) and depression. I got physically addicted to Adivan, so I go the anxiety issues alone, and day 2-3 were the worst! I had a 4hr panic attack, a 2hr one, and had general panic feelings that whole 24hr period. I'm now on day 7, but still having sweats n head wooziness. I take a dilaudid when things get too bad, but I was prescribed to take 2 2mg pills every 3hrs n did that for a few days, plus I was in the hospital on the button for 36hrs. Idk what else to do, my head, my stomach...I am thankful for this post, I'm gonna try the immodium and benedryl. Good luck to you all.

Loperamide is an opioid. That's one of the keys to your success. It just works in the body not the brain unless you wash it down with a liter or two of tonic water. Quinine is a p-Glycoprotein inhibitor which allows it in the brain. Capers have quercetin which also helps.

So I am 20 days from my 5th neck surgery. But with all the different Drs giving all different info they have me pretty messed up with the meds. I can't go off of them due to the pain but they make me anxious as hell. Will the multi vitamin and b-complex and the benzo help for the intern till after surgery when I can get totally off the meds for good????? Scared to death!

This is a very poor thought out answer to subito new withdrawal. I am sorry but I just went through my first month detoxing from suboxone and for me like many others I have read about have went through the physical withdrawals for more than a week. Two weeks physical and the last two weeks have been mental
The anxiety and depression seems to be getting worse. And the mental part for me seems to be way worse than the physical. This guy does not even really touch base on the mental nightmare that seems ever intensifying and never ending. Good luck listening to this guy. Drink a 5 hour energy. Are you crazy. I am and many people are dealing with probably more anxiety than we have in our whole life's put together and you tell us to drink a 5 hour energy. Yeah tachycardia here we come. And on top of that take some benzo's so that when you do finally unleash the beast (anxiety) you can have a benzo melt down to go with it. This guy is trying to kill people. Vitamins and exercise people. It's tough and it sucks but we did it to our selves. No sense in adding addictions and caffeine to kick off a panic attack. Exercise and vitamins daily I can't say it enough. It is best to let you body heal naturally. Nobody wants to do it but the rewards are worth it. That's key.

Thanks for writing this. Honestly I think the thomas recipe is outdated and doesn't work for a lot of people... I read some post and learned about using high dose imodium for opiate withdrawals and it seems to be working much better. Anyways thanks for sharing!

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** web addresses not allowed*** Please read our Terms of Use