I need some Lovenox info since I am going to have hip replacement surgery. I required a thorough description of steps taken when this surgery is done and my doctor mentioned Lovenox. I remember that one of my neighbours used Lovenox because she had a heart condition (I can’t remember the name of her disorder). Is this the same Lovenox?

Lovenox (enoxaparin sodium) is used in several cases. It is well known as blood thinner, so it is usually prescribed in cases of deep vein thrombosis (it lessens the possibility of aggravation of the condition and cannot fight the existing clots) as well as in cases when serious surgeries with big risk of thromboembolic complications are performed (knee and hip replacement surgeries, abdominal surgery). Lovenox is also used when a patient is immobile due to acute illness of particular kind - in this case there is a great risk of clots. Of course, Lovenox can be used when other conditions are present and this was probably the case with your neighbour. Lovenox is used in cases of ischemic complications of unstable angina and non-Q-wave myocardial infarction. These disorders are very serious and life - threatening and they are caused by a blood clot which disrupts supplying of the heart muscle with blood. Lovenox is in this case used with aspirin and in combination they lower the risk of death.