Hi! Three months ago I had a hip replacement. I don’t have any special problem. But I worry. I worry about possible complications. Can you tell me about complications after hip replacement?

Hi! I had hip replacement without any complications. Unfortunately, even the most minor of surgical operations carries some risk of complications occurring. Most complications are temporary setbacks. You have about a 98% chance that everything will be ok. The risk of infection in the weeks after the operation is increased if you have rheumatoid arthritis or diabetes, if you have been taking cortisone for prolonged periods of time, if the affected joint has had previous infection, or if you have infection anywhere else in your body at the time of surgery. The artificial joint can become infected many years after the operation. The bacteria travel through the blood stream from a source elsewhere in the body, such as from an infected wound, or a gall-bladder infection. Dislocation of the hip replacement occurs in a small percentage of patients, but I think that is behind you.
You should keep your weight down because every pound you gain adds three pounds to the force on the hip.

Thank-you, I had no idea. I had an infection first time around, then a spacer for 3 and a half months.. Now I'm just hoping for things to go alright for awhile.

Thanks,

Gayle