Hi, I am only 38 years old and very active, with my own business. However, I need to have a hip replacement. The doctors are not willing to perform a hip replacement surgery. And say that it can be done in 5 to10 years. I don’t understand why.

Hi, I think that doctors advice to postpone surgery for as long as possible because a few surgeries are required in a life time. Every next surgery is more complicated and difficult. However, if you see some other doctors you may get a different point of view. In some countries it is a routine operation even for 30 years old. A friend of mine got recommends to take the hip replacement as soon as possible to get a better quality of life, because she also had bone marrow transplanted. And she has been in pain for only 3 months before the surgery was performed.

Not at all. I was diagnosed with AVN (avascular necrosis) of the left hip in 1998 when I was 41, but had been having pain one year prior to the diagnosis. My surgeon suggested that I wait as long as possible because the afformentioned number of times a surgery may have to be performed again. These parts wear out eventually, although they are coming out with new marterials that last a lot longer than they used to. Unfortunately, my surgery which was done this past January did not come out very well. In fact I'm in more pain than I was before the surgery.
Hope you have better luck than I did.

I too was diagnosed with AVN and went through a hip replacement 6/6/06. Prior to the surgery, I was in quite a bit of pain. The replacement surgery recovery has taken some time and has been more painful then I expected. Most pain was caused by the bone being cracked during the prosthesis insertion. My doctor has said it is normal to have pressure pain in the lower portion of the thigh for a period of time. Still waiting to be pain and limp free.

you're not at all too young. put it this way: I'm 16 years old and getting a hip replacement in 2 months. good luck with it.

im 18 very active and i have a screwed up hip! and wish there was a better procedure than the hip replacement because my doctors want me to wait as long as possible but im afraid that ill be older and not get to enjoy my childhood activities that i loved skateboarding, snowboarding, and bmx etc...
i want there to be stem cell research!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have leg perths disease and my hip has been bothering me since I was 5 years old. I am now 45 and I am considering the surgery, for better quality of life. My pain comes and goes, more comming than going. It is real bad some days and not bad on others; it leaves me in hesitation, not wanting to comment to the surgery. :-)

two years ago i fractured my hip.. 5 operations later i've got to have a hip replacement in april... im only 15

thats pissed in all your cornflakes :-)

I am 16 years old, and I was born without a hip socket. I have had 5 surgeries on it, and i had one about a year ago. The surgery was suppose to buy me 20 years before I would have to get a hip replacement. But the surgery did not work, in 2 months they are taking out all the metal they put in my hip and by the end of this year I will get a hip replacement. They say they don't like to do it on someone so young, but they have no choice. So no you are not to young :-) Being 16 it kind of scares me, but I know it will help!

I'm 18. I have FAI (femeroacetabular impingment) and acetabular protrusio which caused severe arthritis in my hips. I have had no problems except pain and not injuries or accidents. I only just turned 18 2 months ago and I have to have my hip replaced within the next two months. Sometimes age means nothing and it just depends on what is wrong with your hip and how much pain you have.

I am 50 and I have been seeing my doctor over the last two years regarding possible hip replacement.  When I was 7 years old I was knocked down by a car and I broke my femur.  I was in hospital for many weeks but then was released to go home and I put in plaster from the tip of my toe to my arms pits.  This has resulted in my left leg being 1½cm shorther than my right leg.  Over the years my hip has worn away due to the inbalace. When I first went to see the doctor in October 2010, due to pains in my leg and knees I was sent to see a consultant.  After having a x-ray I was shocked to be told that I would need a hip replacement in the foreseeable future.  I have also seen an orthotic consultant who has now arranged for my left shoes to be raised by 1½cm.  I also have an insolve for my left slipper and wellie!  I did go back to the consultant (due to pain) in May 2012.  I was told that I could have a hip replacement now but I would be best to walk with a stick and take ibuprofen and see if we can delay it a bit longer as a hip replacement will not last forever and they would not want to do a hip replacement 3 times.  When I ask my doctor when can I arrange for a hip replacement he tells me "you want to put if off for as long as possible as it may only last 4 years".  I was quite shocked by this response.  My cousin's wife is 47 and she has had a hip replacement.  I am now on ibuprofen daily and have to walk with a stick if I walk any distance - ie not around the house and office.  I would like to go straight to the consutant, but I feel the doctor is putting me off.   

Please let me know how it turned out i know you dont know me but i have a similair problem very worried not going to lie

***Post is edited by moderator *** Private e-mails not allowed***Please read our Terms of Use

I've had both my hips replaced recently (I was 41), the first in Dec'11 and the second April'12. The outcome has been fantastic, life changing!!, I can certainly recommend it. I had been have trouble with my hips since around 5 years old and was finally diagnosed with AVN at 32. Of course there was a certain amount of pain after the ops but each time  I was back at  my desk job after a month. Now I can say hand on heart I have no pain at ALL!! I feel I've totally made to right decison having my hips replaced now instead of waiting. I think my quick recover was helped (apart from a great surgeon) by regularly doing my exercises. Good Luck